This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Fluxbox-like tabbing system

Votes
Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Primoz
OS
I'm surprised that this idea wasn't proposed yet.
I never really extensively used Fluxbox. But I know that it has an option to join windows in tabs. I feel this is very useful.
I would really need it when I'm trying to "multitask" between browser and another app.

Tabbing should have to options:

1.: Automatically tabbing multiple instances of same app.

2.: tabbing two different apps; done by user.

It would also be really cool if there would be an option to just drag-and-drop app on window-deco of another app to tab it together.

I hope I'm making some sense. (I've realised that many times I'm not because my ideas are not well thought out.)

Primoz, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Nov.
gubu1353
Registered Member

RE: Fluxbox-like tabbing system

Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:15 pm
Primoz wrote:I'm surprised that this idea wasn't proposed yet.
I never really extensively used Fluxbox. But I know that it has an option to join windows in tabs. I feel this is very useful.
I would really need it when I'm trying to "multitask" between browser and another app.

It would also be really cool if there would be an option to just drag-and-drop app on window-deco of another app to tab it together.

I hope I'm making some sense. (I've realised that many times I'm not because my ideas are not well thought out.)

I have never seen FluxBox but this sounds very good. Every application of which you might have open more windows (like twice kate, kwrite, konqueror, firefox ... ) should have tabs directly in the titlebar, like google did it with chrome. This way the screen is much better used, especially on smaller screens and laptops.
Primoz
OS

Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:25 pm
gubu1353 wrote:
Primoz wrote:I'm surprised that this idea wasn't proposed yet.

I have never seen FluxBox but this sounds very good. Every application of which you might have open more windows (like twice kate, kwrite, konqueror, firefox ... ) should have tabs directly in the titlebar, like google did it with chrome. This way the screen is much better used, especially on smaller screens and laptops.

Here you can learn more about Fluxbox way of tabbing:
http://old.fluxbox.org/features/tabs.php
and
http://www.fluxbox.org/features/

Hans
Administrator
OS

Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:28 pm
Sorry for being the one who has to spoil the fun again. ;)

There is already a popular wish for this on bugs.kde.org: Bug 42023: PWM-Like tabbing support for windows. Not only does it have more than 1500 votes at the moment, there's also a bounty placed on it.

Last edited by Hans on Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Problem solved? Please click on "Accept this answer" below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.

10 things you might want to do in KDE | Open menu with Super key | Mouse shortcuts
Primoz
OS

Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:38 pm
Hans wrote:Sorry for being the one who has to spoil the fun again. ;)

There is already a popular wish for this on bugs.kde.org: Bug 42023: PWM-Like tabbing support for windows. Not only does it have more than 1500 votes at the moment, there's also a bounty placed on it.

Yeah I thought that it was submitted somewhere. I just never took time to search for it.
It's OK.
How could I miss this: there is a thread by Zarin declaring bounty on this very forum: kwin-tabbing-cash- ... 16809.html

Last edited by Primoz on Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Madman
Registered Member
OS
Out of sheer curiosity, why hasn't this already been implemented? That's a wish from the KDE 2 days. Is it just time-consuming? Not easily do-able (as is the case with the OSX-style plasma menu)?

Madman, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
Primoz
OS
Madman wrote:Out of sheer curiosity, why hasn't this already been implemented? That's a wish from the KDE 2 days. Is it just time-consuming? Not easily do-able (as is the case with the OSX-style plasma menu)?

It shouldn't be that hard. I guess that it's just XEmbed.
But I have a problem finding any info how to make XEmbed work.
Then it's just a matter of polishing it and using it in Kwin.

But this is purely theoretical. I really don't know if it works.
I even can't find how to get XEmbed to work.

Primoz
OS
Here's my brainstorm about XEmbed and Fluxbox:
OK first of all I have to say that I have no idea what I'm talking.
But AFAIK it does make sense to me, don't know if it truly makes sense.
That's why I'm posting this thread.
Anyway I saw a recent post of Ivan talking about making a Chrome like browser.
So I thought the same principle is probably behind the Fluxbox tab system; you just XEmbed a window into another window.
Is this correct?
Is this doable?
Does it make any sense?
Here are some links that I think explain how I think this is done.
http://ivan.fomentgroup.org/blog/2009/03...nt-chrome/
http://ksvladimir.blogspot.com/2008/06/c...smoid.html

repsilat
Registered Member
Hmm, I see you've posted this in the developers forum also.

Was also in the Look and Feel forum not too long ago as well.

In that thread it was mentioned that this feature has been submitted as a project for Google Summer of Code 2009. The GSOC timeline says we'll hear whether the project makes the cut at 1900 UTC, April 20 (next Monday) on the 2009 GSOC website.[hr]Hrm, sorry about the double post, couldn't see the edit button.

The Google Summer of Code project to implement window tabbing in KDE has got the go-ahead.

Also: List of KDE projects, List of organisations with accepted projects.
Primoz
OS
repsilat wrote:Hmm, I see you've posted this in the developers forum also.

Was also in the Look and Feel forum not too long ago as well.

In that thread it was mentioned that this feature has been submitted as a project for Google Summer of Code 2009. The GSOC timeline says we'll hear whether the project makes the cut at 1900 UTC, April 20 (next Monday) on the 2009 GSOC website.[hr]Hrm, sorry about the double post, couldn't see the edit button.

The Google Summer of Code project to implement window tabbing in KDE has got the go-ahead.

Also: List of KDE projects, List of organisations with accepted projects.

It's OK I merged your posts.
And nice to read that it got accepted! Now I can't wait for KDE4.5 or something where we might see this project brought to light.