This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.
The Discussions and Opinions forum is a place for open discussion regarding everything related to KDE, within the boundaries of KDE Code of Conduct. If you have a question or need a solution for a KDE problem, please post in the apppropriate forum instead.

A simple thing that I would *love*

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
clearloon
Registered Member

A simple thing that I would *love*

Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:08 pm
I have a 30' monitor and I would *love* to be able to middle click on the "desktop" in KDE4.x and have the applications menu (or another menu) appear.

I miss this from KDE3.x. It's a useability thing - searching for the menu button on a 30' screen is just a hassle. It woold be so much easier for me to middle click...

Dreams are free right?

clearloon, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
msoeken
Mentor
OS
Yeah, that sounds like a good idea. AFAIK this is not possible right now. But for now, you can press Alt+F1 to open the applications menu.

[size=x-small]code | [url=cia.vc/stats/author/msoeken]cia.vc[/url] | [url=kde.org/support]donating KDE[/url] | [url=tinyurl.com/cto4ns]wishlist[/url][/size]
logs_con
Registered Member
OS
You could try using xbindkeys

I've got it set up on my machine for the side back/forward mouse buttons in dolphin/konqueror.

You should be able to bind the button to pretty much any key combination.

Cheers

T

This week's operating systems (subject to change)
LAPTOP : Crunchbang Waldorf AMD64 Openbox / openSUSE 13.1 x86_64 KDE 4.12.3 / Win7 64
DESKTOP : Crunchbang Waldorf AMD64 Openbox / openSUSE 13.1 x86_64 KDE 4.12.3 / Winvista 64
TheBlackCat
Registered Member
OS
I like the idea, but I think it would be better to launch klauncher rather than the application menu. klauncher is powerful enough now that I think it would be a worthwhile replacement. Especially if klauncher could be set up so instead of opening blank it opens with the list of your favorite programs from the kde menu, then you could use klauncher without needing to use the keyboard at all (if you are launching a commonly-used application).

Man is the lowest-cost, 150-pound, nonlinear, all-purpose computer system which can be mass-produced by unskilled labor.
-NASA in 1965
ash
Registered Member
meanwhile you can add autohide panels with task manager in each
TheBlackCat
Registered Member
OS
Yes, but that doesn't appear near your mouse.

Man is the lowest-cost, 150-pound, nonlinear, all-purpose computer system which can be mass-produced by unskilled labor.
-NASA in 1965
Nate
Registered Member
clearloon wrote:I have a 30' monitor

Do you work for Diamondvision? ;-)

Nate, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
ash
Registered Member
not if there is one or more at each edge of the screen

and you can allways just set up to some 9 X the mouse acceleration
TheBlackCat
Registered Member
OS
clearloon wrote:I have a 30' monitor...

That's bigger than my TV.

-NASA in 1965
clearloon
Registered Member
Nate wrote:Do you work for Diamondvision? ;-)

Ha ha! No - I have a friend whose company was being wound up and they had a couple of 4 month old HP LP3065 monitors going for half the retail price. We don't have a TV but we do watch a lot of movies so it made sense to grab one. Christmas present to self!

And yes, it's awesome.

And thanks all for your replies. I still prefer my wish-list solution but there's some good workarounds...

Last edited by clearloon on Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SteveMcQwark
Registered Member
OS
Umm... 30 inch (30") or 30 foot (30'), cuz it looks like 30', and that... is... bigger than my house. :P And in either case, that is sounds really awesome.

SteveMcQwark, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Nov.
clearloon
Registered Member
SteveMcQwark wrote:Umm... 30 inch (30") or 30 foot (30'), cuz it looks like 30', and that... is... bigger than my house. :P And in either case, that is sounds really awesome.

Duh! Yes... 30 inches.

bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Plasma currently allows the Desktop Containment to manage the right click actions over the desktop. This could be implemented by writing one of these which allowed this.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]