This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Combining toolbar/menu for netbooks (and other small-form factors)

Votes
Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Kryten2X4B
Registered Member
OS
In KDE 4.2.x, most apps have by default both a toolbar and a menubar. IMO, this is a waste of space when screen-estate is a precious commodity. Netbooks would be the prime example of this.

What I'm suggesting is that when screen-estate is extremely important to conserve, they should be combined. That is, the menubar should be on the side of the toolbar and just have one entry (for example, a text just saying menu or the icon of whatever is the default for kickoff).

When you click on that one, the menu should drop down. The menu itself would consist of the normal "top level" menus of the app in question, but with the normal entries as "sub-menues".

My explanation probably sucks but check my inspiration for this (a firefox extension) for images:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1455

OpenSUSE 11.4, 64-bit with KDE 4.6.4
Proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
csousa
Registered Member
OS
R_Rios
Registered Member
OS
Madman
Registered Member
OS
I actually had a different idea for this, but it's more complex then this one. I'll post it in a new suggestion.

Madman, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
Alec
Registered Member
OS
That would be really neat.

Get problems solved faster - get reply notifications through Jabber!
Madman
Registered Member
OS
everythings-a-toolbar-t-39494.html

That's my suggestion.

Madman, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
peaches
Registered Member
Someone promote that guy!
kolla
Registered Member
Madman wrote:everythings-a-toolbar-t-39494.html

That's my suggestion.

And my suggestion would be to re-implement the amigaos menubar that sits ontop of the screen (MacOS style), but only pops up when a given hotkey (typically right mousebutton) is pressed.

And add multiselect as well, so one can click multiple menu entries while the menu is open, and have their actions carried out in the order they were picked.

-- kolla
Ujjwol
Registered Member
OS
Ya this would be great

Ujjwol, proud user of KDE 4 and member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
Angel Blue01
Registered Member
OS
I like the idea in the mockup, +1 from me.

Proudly dual-booting openSUSE 11.1 with KDE 4.3 and Windows Vista on a Toshiba A205-S4577 since July 2007.