This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Actions Panel

Votes
Tags: dolphin dolphin dolphin
(comma "," separated)
TheBlackCat
Registered Member
OS

[Dolphin] Actions Panel

Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:52 pm
This is an idea for a new panel for Dolphin I call the "actions" panel. Take a look at the bottom panel below:

This is a fairly basic idea that it looks like several people (including me) have come up with independently. It shows actions you can take with the currently-selected file (or the displayed folder if nothing is selected). On other words it is basically a trimmed-down version right-click menu, minus things like cut, copy, and paste. One key difference is with "actions" which should be displayed right there instead of placed in a sub-menu. This is an example of discoverability. I want it so if there is something you can do with an object it should be obvious, not hidden in right-click menus.

This is part of my series of Dolphin ideas

Last edited by TheBlackCat on Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Man is the lowest-cost, 150-pound, nonlinear, all-purpose computer system which can be mass-produced by unskilled labor.
-NASA in 1965
mutlu
Registered Member
OS

RE: Dolphin idea: Actions Panel

Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:05 am
This would be great for touch screens.
gerlos
Registered Member
OS

Actions Panel

Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:48 am
There's already something similar in Gwenview. It could be nice if this feature could be added to dolphin, and hopefully if it could work the same.

I think it's really useful, for example with touchscreens and with touchpad for people (like me) that find awkward to right click with that devices.

"Fairy tales are more than true, not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten."
G. K. Chesterton
web: http://gerlos.altervista.org
gerlos +- - - > gnu/linux registred user #311588
Kver
Registered Member
OS

Actions Panel

Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:25 pm
One feature that should be in the actions panel, if implemented, should be a "Run as Administrator" command.

Reformed lurker.
Fri13
Registered Member
OS

Actions Panel

Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:05 pm
Kver wrote:One feature that should be in the actions panel, if implemented, should be a "Run as Administrator" command.

We do not need any UAC kind to KDE. Everything should be made so that we can run everything without root level.

Policykit is something what would be coming there to help.