This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Active Icon Corners

Votes
Tags: dolphin dolphin dolphin
(comma "," separated)
TheBlackCat
Registered Member
OS

Active Icon Corners

Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:45 pm
This Dolphin idea is an extension of the active corners ideas I saw being used in plasma prior to the release of KDE 4.0. I don't know what happened to it, but I have resurrected it here:

As you can see, the button is still in the upper left-hand corner. However, in addition there are three other buttons, one for each of the other three corners. If the icon is small, too small to fit all of these icons comfortably, then only the button is shown. But if it is big enough, as it is here, all 4 are shown. The button does the same thing as always. The other 3 buttons are open to debate. The one in the lower right is just a way to access the file's Nepomuk metadata. It could, alternatively, be a way to access the file right-click menu (particularly useful when using a one-button mouse). The other two corners in this mockup are related to other ideas, easy file preview and pinned selections. They could be just about anything, though.

This is part of my series of Dolphin ideas

Last edited by TheBlackCat on Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Man is the lowest-cost, 150-pound, nonlinear, all-purpose computer system which can be mass-produced by unskilled labor.
-NASA in 1965
pano
Registered Member
OS

RE: [Dolphin] Active Icon Corners

Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:21 pm
Something that might be good is to make the size of those "buttons", depend on the size of the icons.

What do you think about making the actions, the icons "represent", configurable?
For example you could assign one "corner action" to ark, so that if you click on it you would create an archive of the file/folder.

pano, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Nov.
KMess!
TheBlackCat
Registered Member
OS

Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:32 pm
The other icons would follow the behavior of the + icon that is already present. Since the + icon already scales with the file icon size in trunk, these would do the same.

Having it configurable is definitely a possibility.

Man is the lowest-cost, 150-pound, nonlinear, all-purpose computer system which can be mass-produced by unskilled labor.
-NASA in 1965
clintonthegeek
Registered Member

Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:25 pm
I'd love for something like this to be configurable by file-type (or view context?), so that, for instance, MP3s would have a button to "Queue Next" in Amarok, or file archives could have a single "Extract here (autodetect subfolder) button" which, be honest, is what you want to do 99.99% of the times with a zip file anyway, right?
pano
Registered Member
OS

Re: [Dolphin] Active Icon Corners

Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:36 pm
In Gwenview there is already something similar like this idea and it works quite nice imho
dbenoot
Registered Member

Re: [Dolphin] Active Icon Corners

Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:27 pm
The active corner for text documents could be used to flip through the pages, making the preview change. E.g. a '<' and '>' active corner on a pdf, clicking the '>' shows the second page as preview in dolphin.