This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Automatically Return to Breadcrumb Mode

Votes
Tags: dolphin dolphin dolphin
(comma "," separated)
TheBlackCat
Registered Member
OS
This is a Dolphin option for people who prefer the breadcrumb bar but use the text-based address bar occasionally to make it easier to go back to breadcrumb mode:

Here, at first glance the text-style address bar is similar to what you see normally. The difference is that the circular arrow button that currently returns you to the breadcrumb mode now has an arrow to pop up a menu. Clicking normally does the same thing as it currently does, but clicking and holding brings up a menu. The menu has one entry that returns to the breadcrumb mode, which is what just normally clicking the button does. However, it also has a check box that allows you to switch it so that clicking away from the address bar causes it to automatically return to breadcrumb mode. That way, for people who much prefer the breadcrumb mode and only use the text mode occasionally and briefly, it allows them to easily go back to the breadcrumb mode. However, it does not get in the way of people who prefer the current system, nor does it make the toolbar look any busier or more crowded. And for people who want to use it one way some times and the other way other times, it allows them to easily switch back and forth without having to pull up the dolphin configuration dialog box or delving through multiple layers of sub-menus in the menu bar. This is an implementation of Hans' idea here:

This is part of my series of Dolphin ideas

Last edited by TheBlackCat on Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Man is the lowest-cost, 150-pound, nonlinear, all-purpose computer system which can be mass-produced by unskilled labor.
-NASA in 1965
vivek.ap
Registered Member
OS
I'm sure you already know this, but, fyi, <Escape> brings the dreadcrumb boxes back.
andre_orwell
Registered Member
yes but if you hit enter to set the current directory the entry box looses focus. To use escape you have to Alt-Tab or mouse to the entry box then hit escape. Or just hit the tick button again. I'm not sure about it being in a pulldown but for breadcrumb fans who occationally edit I think it is a win to have this option. For typers there seems to be little (or no) disadvantage as they are not forced to use it. I think its a good idea.