This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

[Dolphin] Drag-and-Drop Breadcrumbs

Votes
Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
TheBlackCat
Registered Member
OS
For Dolphin I think it would be very useful if dragging and dropping of files works with the folder lists in the breadcrumb address bar. So if you grab a file and drag it to one of the arrows between folders in the address bar and then hold it there for a few moments, the arrow will open the folder list. You can then drop the file on any of those folders to get the standard "Move, Copy, Link" menu. This will make moving a single block of files between distant folders much easier, and moving individual files between nearby folders easier as well.

Although the above idea is something I really want just on its own, it works even better if combined with my breadcrumb tree idea. If instead of dropping the file you hover it over a folder with subfolders, you will get the list of subfolders that you can then either drop on or expand in turn. This allows you to move any file or block of files anywhere in the filesystem easily.

This is part of my series of Dolphin ideas

Last edited by TheBlackCat on Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Man is the lowest-cost, 150-pound, nonlinear, all-purpose computer system which can be mass-produced by unskilled labor.
-NASA in 1965
mutlu
Registered Member
OS
I think what you are suggesting is that the option "Open folders during drag operations" should be extended to also work with the breadcrumb address bar. I second this! It would make operations much easier, if files are copied or moved up in the file system hierarchy. Great idea!
TheBlackCat
Registered Member
OS

[Dolphin] Drag-and-Drop Breadcrumbs

Mon May 18, 2009 3:45 am
I implented this in trunk

Man is the lowest-cost, 150-pound, nonlinear, all-purpose computer system which can be mass-produced by unskilled labor.
-NASA in 1965