This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Horizontal Split View

Votes
Tags: dolphin dolphin dolphin
(comma "," separated)
TheBlackCat
Registered Member
OS

[Dolphin] Horizontal Split View

Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:40 pm
This is an idea for Dolphin. Currently when you click the split view button it splits the file browser horizontally. In this idea, clicking the button has the same effect. However, if you click and hold the split view button it will pop up a menu that allows you to switch between horizontal and vertical split views. You can only have one at a time, the old Konqueror "infinite splits" is probably not a good idea for Dolphin, and I know it has already been vetoed by Dolphin developers. If you switch the button from one mode to the other and the view is already split the view will switch accordingly. You can see a mockup of the menu below:

Splitting vertically is useful for things like column view and details view with a lot of details since it allows you to spread the view out over a wide area, while with a horizontal split you have a tall area but it is fairly narrow.

This is part of my series of Dolphin ideas

Last edited by TheBlackCat on Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Man is the lowest-cost, 150-pound, nonlinear, all-purpose computer system which can be mass-produced by unskilled labor.
-NASA in 1965
Arran
Registered Member
OS

Re: Horizontal Split View

Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:32 pm
I think this is a great idea, which I used often in my windows times with the program «xplorer2».

Best greetings from Scotland's nicest holiday island.
Kubuntu 18.04, 64 bits, Nvidia 4800GS, 8MB Ram, 4 core, HP Monitor 2550 x 1600 pixels.
pagoda
Registered Member
OS

Re: Horizontal Split View

Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:52 am
+1 for this idea if it's not difficult to implement and maintain for the dev's.
I particularly like it because it remains out of the way if you choose not to use it.