This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Middle-Click on Breadcrumb to Open as Tab

Votes
Tags: dolphin dolphin dolphin
(comma "," separated)
TheBlackCat
Registered Member
OS
Currently, middle-clicking on any folder opens that folder in a new tab, be it in the file browser, places panel, or folders panel. The only exception is the breadcrumb address bar. There, middle-clicking pastes. I understand that middle-clicking on a text box in KDE pastes into that text box. The issue is that when the address bar is in breadcrumb mode, it is not a text box it is a series of buttons. I would guess that pasting when middle-clicking on a button is unexpected behavior for most users, especially considering the otherwise consistent use of middle-clicking in Dolphin.

Further, it would only take two clicks to switch the address bar to text mode and then paste the text into it there, plus you can do the two clicks without moving your mouse. On the other hand, to open a folder in the breadcrumb bar as a tab requires at least three clicks, perhaps many more, and moving your mouse a long distance, since you have to click to the folder above the one you want, find the folder you want in the file browser, middle-click it, then go back to the toolbar and press the back button. So I think that middle-clicking on the breadcrumb-style address bar should open the folder you middle-clicked as a new tab, while middle-clicking on the text-style address bar should paste text into the address bar.

Also, being able to middle-click on the folders in the menus you get when you click the arrows in the breadcrumb bar would be useful as well, currently middle-clicking on them does nothing as far as I can see.

This is part of my series of Dolphin ideas

Last edited by TheBlackCat on Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Man is the lowest-cost, 150-pound, nonlinear, all-purpose computer system which can be mass-produced by unskilled labor.
-NASA in 1965
SeaJey
Registered Member
OS
Voting Up and hopes this idea would be earliest implemented.

kubuntu 10.04 AMD64 - KDE 4.4
AMD - radeonHD - M-Audio revolution 5.1
TheBlackCat
Registered Member
OS
I implemented this for 4.5.

Man is the lowest-cost, 150-pound, nonlinear, all-purpose computer system which can be mass-produced by unskilled labor.
-NASA in 1965