This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Place Groups

Votes
Tags: dolphin dolphin dolphin
(comma "," separated)
TheBlackCat
Registered Member
OS

[Dolphin] Place Groups

Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:08 pm
This is an idea for the place panel in Dolphin, which lists places you want to visit often as well as removable media:

There are a bunch of changes in this mockup. The one I am discussing here is how the places are organized into groups. This would probably be optional, but I think it is good as a default. With this your different places are organized into groups by category. Places you set are "My Places", there is a group for removable drives, a category for CDs and DVDs, a group for network drives, a group for saved searches (Strigi searches you want to access again). Group for which there are no places do not appear, there would probably be categories for cameras and music players for instance but since there are none plugged in those groups are hidden. Also notice that these have the plus and minus signs. This allows you yo collapse group as well, like the Network Drives group in this example.

This is part of my series of Dolphin ideas

Last edited by TheBlackCat on Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Man is the lowest-cost, 150-pound, nonlinear, all-purpose computer system which can be mass-produced by unskilled labor.
-NASA in 1965
James Tyrer
Registered Member
OS

[Dolphin] Place Groups

Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:14 pm
This is nice, but it is too much. Also, the "Places" list is NOT a Dolphin function, but rather it also shows up in KFile. So, Places needs to remain a short list of URLs for quick reference. So, add this other stuff to the Dolphin Panel if you want, but do not add it to Places.

There is an issue with "Places" in Dolphin. Currently, it can be displayed two places and this is one too many. One or the other needs to be eliminated. Perhaps this should be configurable.
TheBlackCat
Registered Member
OS

[Dolphin] Place Groups

Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:03 pm
I disagree, as long as people can enable or disable it I think it is a useful feature. Especially as we start adding more and more different types of places.

Man is the lowest-cost, 150-pound, nonlinear, all-purpose computer system which can be mass-produced by unskilled labor.
-NASA in 1965
James Tyrer
Registered Member
OS

[Dolphin] Place Groups

Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:37 pm
Are you disagreeing with the fact that the "Places" list is not part of Dolphin? It is a function of KDELibs. IIUC, it is in KFile (kdelibs/kfile/kfileplaceeditdialog.cpp).

I am not saying that you couldn\'t do what you propose, only that it would require more than just adding a few things -- it would require a fairly major redesign of that part of the Dolphin code.

I don\'t really think that users would want all of that stuff when they click on the icon at the left end of the BreadCrumbs, to show the Places list, either. But, yes, it would be good to be able to add it to the Panel.