This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Text Beside Icon

Votes
Tags: dolphin dolphin dolphin
(comma "," separated)
TheBlackCat
Registered Member
OS

[Dolphin] Text Beside Icon

Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:41 pm
Currently dolphin has two ways of orienting the icon view, by rows or by columns. Rows puts text below icons and put them in a series of rows, while columns puts text beside the icon and puts it in a single column. However, as far as I see it, where the text goes and what direction the icons are laid out in have nothing to do with each other. For this reason I propose that there be an option, somewhere in the view menu and/or in one of the menu buttons I mentioned at the beginning, the option to put the text next to the icon while maintaining the same row-based layout, as well as the option to put the icons on columns without moving the text.

It would look something like this:

This is part of my series of Dolphin ideas

Last edited by TheBlackCat on Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Man is the lowest-cost, 150-pound, nonlinear, all-purpose computer system which can be mass-produced by unskilled labor.
-NASA in 1965
FoxBlitzz
Registered Member
OS

RE: Dolphin idea: Text Beside Icon

Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:06 pm
I upvoted this because it's nicer to be able to see more of the title without having to make the spacing weird. My only concern is how it will deal with "Additional Information" fields. When the text is beside the icon, you generally have as much room to display information as the icon is tall. Changing orientation modes or icon zoom is going to have to change the amount of displayed information, but how?
TheBlackCat
Registered Member
OS

Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:19 pm
This is literally just a screenshot of what you get when you tell Dolphin to arrange icon mode by columns. It currently both changes how the view is arranged and where the text is. My idea is to separate these so you can arrange in columns without putting the text besides the icon, as well as put the text beside the icon when it is arrange in rows.

Man is the lowest-cost, 150-pound, nonlinear, all-purpose computer system which can be mass-produced by unskilled labor.
-NASA in 1965
FoxBlitzz
Registered Member
OS

Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:37 pm
Well, naturally. Having icons arranged in rows with the text to the side is how I use Windows Explorer pretty much all the time. My concern is how the Additional Information will be presented. When I switch to Columns view in Dolphin, the Additional Information menu is grayed out, which makes it seem like it's not properly supported for that orientation yet. Unless Dolphin's going to have separate settings for this text orientation mode combined with the existing icon modes.
TheBlackCat
Registered Member
OS

Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:31 pm
I am using trunk and it isn't grayed out for me. On my system as the icon gets too small Dolphin just starts automatically hiding additional information.

-NASA in 1965
FoxBlitzz
Registered Member
OS

Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:46 pm
Never mind, seems you were referring to "Columns" within the Icon Mode's settings, not the separate Column view mode itself. Maybe we should address this ambiguity somehow?

I'm also still curious about how Additional Information is handled when switching between the two orientations. My system isn't hiding information when the icons get smaller. On top of that, the user might want different settings for each orientation.