This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

[SOLVED] KWin random crashes.

Tags: kwin kwin kwin
(comma "," separated)
Moult
Global Moderator
OS

Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:37 pm
Recently (maybe after upgrading to xorg-server 1.5.3-r1 [though now I am on r2]) I have noticed that certain actions will cause KWin to crash and therefore cause X to restart. This is very annoying. Such actions can be like right click -> appearance settings then selecting a drop down menu, or right clicking the KMix icon (this one works sometimes), or really random dropdowns and right clicks cause this. Sometimes it happens always at one place (like appearance settings dropdowns) and sometimes it's a bit random whether it works or not.

I've tried restarting plasma, restarting X, restarting my computer, removing the .kde4 directory, changing plasma theme, changing window border style, changing widget style, reinstalling the whole of KDE 4.2 ... nothing worked.

I'm stumped.

Help? Any ideas how to debug this?

(Running NVIDIA GeForce 9100M G with nvidia-driver 180.27, KDE 4.2.0, Gentoo Linux)

Last edited by Moult on Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Moult, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
thinkMoult - source for tech, art, and animation: hilarity and interest ensured!
WIPUP.org - a unique system to share, critique and track your works-in-progress projects.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:14 pm
Apparently disabling "Present Windows" will prevent this from occurring.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
Moult
Global Moderator
OS

Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:45 pm
Thank you!

After disabiling the effect, I tried going to appearance settings and clicking a drop down once more. Again it crashed, but when starting up again, now it all seems to work fine.

However, like the guy in the other thread, it happens randomly so I'm unsure as to whether or not it's been really fixed. But I'll mark it solved and only if it starts to recurr then I will bump this thread.

Thanks again!

thinkMoult - source for tech, art, and animation: hilarity and interest ensured!
WIPUP.org - a unique system to share, critique and track your works-in-progress projects.
Moult
Global Moderator
OS

Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:19 am
Ok. I have unsolved this thread because that is only a temporary fix. Basically for me, once I set a no present windows effects, it will crash, then only on the next X startup it will work. However, it will only work ONCE. After you close that appearance settings window and made your changes, when you open it again KWin will crash just like before. Or if you restart X again, KWin will continue its crashes.

Another place I found this crash was when adding a new activity, zooming into that activity, then trying to drag/drop a widget from the add widget dialog. Can anybody confirm this?

I don't think it's a driver problem, as this popped up without any driver upgrades.

Zarin
KDE Developer
OS

Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:40 am
Backtraces please.
Moult
Global Moderator
OS

Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:05 am
Well, turns out somebody on IRC also had the same issue I had, and the fix is to disable the BackingStore option in xorg.conf. Now it works fine :)

Solved. (for real now I think)

Johnny Jupiter
Registered Member
OS

RE: [SOLVED] KWin random crashes.

Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:58 am
Moult wrote:Well, turns out somebody on IRC also had the same issue I had, and the fix is to disable the BackingStore option in xorg.conf. Now it works fine :)

Solved. (for real now I think)

i had the same problem and disabling option backingstore solved this issue.
nvidia 180.29

thanks
algol.tr
Registered Member

Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:33 pm
what I do insert in my xorg.conf?
please help kwin crash very often.

ps:sorry for my english

algol.tr, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
Moult
Global Moderator
OS

Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:36 am
algol.tr, it's actually what do you _remove_ from your xorg.conf. Search for any lines in the Section "Device" sections which have the word BackingStore in it. Remove any lines with the word BackingStore in it.

algol.tr
Registered Member

Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:58 am
I had not any backingstore option,
so I added: Option "backingstore" "false"
but nothing.
I must wait a rebuild of my kde pakage...

algol.tr, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.