This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Lancelot brainstorming

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
ivan
KDE Developer
OS

Lancelot brainstorming

Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:49 am
KDE 4.2 is coming soon, and we are in the feature freeze. This means that the next couple of weeks the development is all about polishing and bug fixing.

After that, new features will come, [for Lancelot] some that I wanted to make, and some you wanted me to make. The point of this topic is for you to tell me which features would *you* like to see in Lancelot for KDE >4.2.

Please be concise and brief because I easily get bored when reading long posts. And, if you are proposing more than one feature, please enumerate them.

p.s. And don't mention the keyboard support or scroll buttons. The former is added in the current version, and the later is being replaced by scroll bars.

Edit: Please use this thread *only* for feature requests and ideas to keep it clean. So, if you want to report a bug, do so on BKO. If you want to discuss something else about Lancelot, or to make an inquiry on what and why, create another theme, or contact me on IRC.

Cheerio!

Last edited by ivan on Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dryfit
Registered Member
OS

RE: Lancelot brainstorming

Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:03 pm
Drag and drop every section so i put category section on the left and don't get in a wrong category because my mouse was a bit faster then my brain, mostly end in computer when i need to be in application, and i like type section on bottom. But i use Lancelot probably till raptor is there this is atm the best menu.

Dryfit, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
blueget
Registered Member

Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:29 pm
The colour of the edges when hovering over them should adapt to the system color scheme and not be hard-coded to red.

sidux
ivan
KDE Developer
OS

Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:47 pm
@Dryfit
Uh, I'm afraid I haven't understood you well. Do you want to be able to change the order of the section buttons? Or to be able to move the inner categories (Places, ...) left or right...

@blueget
Yes, that was the plan from the beginning. The red was only a temporary thing - just to show the idea on blog. But, as Aaron says, temporary things tend to stick for a long time. :(

Solardeity
Registered Member
OS

Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:47 pm
Please make a option in the settings to remove the big thick Icons/Menu on the left and to have only one starter..

Solardeity, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
OnlyWhisky
Registered Member

Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:57 pm
One thing I can suggest is animation when item 'clicked'. You see, like five yellow flashes in windows taskbar, for example. That could add some more "feedback" to application. I will try last version and suggest something else tomorrow)
ivan
KDE Developer
OS

Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:13 pm
@Solardeity
You mean one icon in the panel (or wherever) but to open only one section? And, I suppose you'd want to be able to choose which section to be shown... Hm... a good idea, I must say, but I propose one extension to it - that you can choose which sections you want shown in panel - so for example you could have only applications and computer if you have no use for contacts and documents. Is it OK?

@OnlyWhisky
Feedback animations (and other animations) are in the TODO list, but as it is with the most features, I really don't know when they will arrive. (btw, I have absolutely no idea what yellow flashes you are talking about, but some feedback will be made)

Concerning the current SVN version - there are some layout issues with lists, so be warned. It will soon be fixed, I hope.

Last edited by ivan on Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

google01103
Manager

Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:17 pm
I'd like for the lancelot window to stay open after an app is selected especially the results window from a search, this could be either timed or until closed or until another window is selected - I liked how TastyMenu did this

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

Solardeity
Registered Member
OS

Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:21 pm
@Ivan
yeah, thats even better!! ... that would be really, really cool :-) or even more, just perfect ...-

Solardeity, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
motopicco85
Registered Member

Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:33 pm
Hi..
thank you for lancelot..It's rock..

I can suggest the option Clear chronology of documents and applications...by right-click on mouse or other..
or in generale I suggest to add any features on different menu's areas by right-click..
i.e.
option for contact list...or clear chronology as mentioned..

sorry for my english :'(

motopicco85, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Nov.
jrick
Registered Member
OS

Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:37 pm
How about tooltips for the items that fade out because they are too long to display?

Type Colemak!

Proud, Conservative Republican

"Gentlemen! You can't fight in here! This is the war room!"
--President Merkin Muffley, Dr. Strangelove
buu700
Registered Member

Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:34 pm
An option to have every item in the menu squished together so that no scrolling is ever required, and a further option within that one to limit each list to a specifically defined maximum number of items to be displayed at a time, so that scrolling is required if more than the specified number of items is present.
jrick
Registered Member
OS

Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:44 pm
How about moving the arrows so that there's more room for the text?

Type Colemak!

Proud, Conservative Republican

"Gentlemen! You can't fight in here! This is the war room!"
--President Merkin Muffley, Dr. Strangelove
cybertaz
Registered Member

Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:58 pm
How hard would it be to include an option to configure menu sorting? For example: sort alphabetically.

cybertaz, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
anachreon_
Registered Member

Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:24 pm
Maybe this has been fixed, but last time I tried I could not drag a program icon from Lancelot onto the quicklaunch bar of my panel. Apologies if this has been fixed or it's a plasma issue, but it's really frustrating.

Thanks for the great work!