This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

New device notifier menu should disappear after a while

Votes
Tags: plasma plasma plasma
(comma "," separated)
TheBlackCat
Registered Member
OS
The new device notifier automatically pops up a list of removable devices when you insert a new device. However, it doesn't go away again until you click on it. I think it should automatically disappear after a certain period of time, one that should probably be set by the user. Of course it could also be set to never hide, and it should also be able to be set to never appear automatically. Ideally this could be set globally and for new devices, as well as set individually for specific devices.

Man is the lowest-cost, 150-pound, nonlinear, all-purpose computer system which can be mass-produced by unskilled labor.
-NASA in 1965
beermad
Registered Member
OS
This was the way it worked until 4.2, which was much better.

Personally, I find the device notifier very intrusive and annoying. Rather than popping up in the way of other windows, I reckon it would be better if it just added an icon to the system tray when something was plugged in and removed the icon when the device was removed.

Ujjwol
Registered Member
OS
Ya, this should done for all other plasmoid like the calender which is displayed which we click the clock...

Ujjwol, proud user of KDE 4 and member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
Hans
Administrator
OS
Yes. Personally I would like if the dialog didn't popup at all - the plasmoid could flash briefly to show that the new device has been mounted.

Much like how I proposed in my mockup (woot, way old stuff!).

Problem solved? Please click on "Accept this answer" below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.

10 things you might want to do in KDE | Open menu with Super key | Mouse shortcuts
einar
Administrator
OS
I'm not sure if it fulfills this request, but in kdereview there is a new notifier made which should be in 4.3 (hopefully).

"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent."
Plasma FAQ maintainer - Plasma programming with Python
Madman
Registered Member
OS
I prefer the current New Device Notifier to the previous, KDE 3.5 notifier. Good God, that thing was annoying!

But yeah, it would be nice to have a tickbox, "Never show mounted devices automatically".

Madman, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
TheBlackCat
Registered Member
OS
The idea here is just to have a timer that shows how long it will stay up, in seconds, with 0 possible (never appear automatically), and the number below 0 would be "unlimited" (never disappear automatically). Then there wouldn't be any need for a checkbox.

Man is the lowest-cost, 150-pound, nonlinear, all-purpose computer system which can be mass-produced by unskilled labor.
-NASA in 1965
TheBlackCat
Registered Member
OS
This is present in KDE 4.4 beta 1.

-NASA in 1965