This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Oxygen panel changes colour from black to blue

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
blackhole
Registered Member
OS
Hi there,

as I'm having problems with the desktop effects right now, I've disabled them altogether.

I'm using the default Oxygen theme and when I disabled the desktop effects my Plasma panels turned from transparent to black, which looked really nice. However when I tried different themes and chose Oxygen again the panels were not black anymore but blue. Why is that?

Is the panel supposed to be black or blue in Oxygen? I prefer the black panels as it matches the desktop widgets' colour. How can I turn my panels black again?

TIA,
Blackhole
TheBlackCat
Registered Member
OS
With desktop effects off the panel is blue, with them on it is black. If you want it black you will need to either have desktop effects on or find a theme with a black panel. You can create a custom theme with different parts of plasma using different themes, you can find that in the "Desktop Theme Details" part of System Settings.

Man is the lowest-cost, 150-pound, nonlinear, all-purpose computer system which can be mass-produced by unskilled labor.
-NASA in 1965
blackhole
Registered Member
OS
No, that's not how it's behaving on my machine. With desktop effects on it's transparent, with desktop effect off it's opaque black and after some reboots and/or theme changing it's blue when selecting Oxygen again.

Check the screenshot:

So there definitely is a black panel WITHOUT desktop effects on my machine, but maybe that's just a bug. However I want the black panels back.

Does anybody know why the panel is blue anyway? Am I the only person that thinks that this looks ugly? I mean all the desktop plasma widgets have black borders only the panels are blue. That doesn't look nice. It's not consistent but just out of place. Why did the designers do that? :(

Last edited by blackhole on Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
PoL666
Registered Member
OS
Does anybody know why the panel is blue anyway? Am I the only person that thinks that this looks ugly? I mean all the desktop plasma widgets have black borders only the panels are blue. That doesn't look nice. It's not consistent but just out of place. Why did the designers do that?

I have the same problem, but I don't care what the panel looks without effects, because I use them. Anyway, I think that it's a bug, and by the way. The black panel looks better.

[align=center]Que dificil se me hace esto....[/align]

Blog Personal

Blog Linux Desktops

:shade:
blackhole
Registered Member
OS
Hm, yeah, I'd use the effects too, if I hadn't those problems.

Can anybody tell me whether there is a theme config file where I manually can set the panel colour for the oxygen theme?
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
The panel is an SVG file, which is controlled by the currently active theme in Plasma. Apart from creating your own theme, there is no way to change the Panel colour at this time.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
blackhole
Registered Member
OS
bcooksley wrote:The panel is an SVG file, which is controlled by the currently active theme in Plasma. Apart from creating your own theme, there is no way to change the Panel colour at this time.

:'( And how would I create a new theme / modified Oxygen theme? Where's the SVG file located?
PoL666
Registered Member
OS
you can manage plasma themes in system settings /advanced /Desktop Themes Details.

[align=center]Que dificil se me hace esto....[/align]

Blog Personal

Blog Linux Desktops

:shade:
Ahmad Samir
Registered Member
OS
Try this: copy /usr/share/apps/desktoptheme/default to .kde4/share/apps/desktoptheme in your /home folder (replace .kde4 with .kde if your distro is using .kde as the default $KDEHOME). Rename the folder from default to oxygen-black or something like this, then open it (oxygen-black in this example) and delete the opaque folder, then open metadata.desktop with kwrite, change Name=Oxygen to Name=Oxygen-black , save the file. Now select Oxygen-black from Appearance Settings. See if this works.
blackhole
Registered Member
OS
medo3891 wrote:Try this: copy /usr/share/apps/desktoptheme/default to .kde4/share/apps/desktoptheme in your /home folder (replace .kde4 with .kde if your distro is using .kde as the default $KDEHOME). Rename the folder from default to oxygen-black or something like this, then open it (oxygen-black in this example) and delete the opaque folder, then open metadata.desktop with kwrite, change Name=Oxygen to Name=Oxygen-black , save the file. Now select Oxygen-black from Appearance Settings. See if this works.

Shukran. I'll try that, but why would the panel be black just because I deleted the opaque folder?
Ahmad Samir
Registered Member
OS
The opaque folder contains a .svgz file that's used for the panel when desktop effects aren't activated. Look at the panel-background.svgz file in the opaque/widgets folder, you can open them with gimp or inkscape, or just turn on preview in konqueror or dolphin.
Alec
Registered Member
OS
I had a similar problem, except the panel was blue and non-transparent even though I had effects on. It went away once I updated to 4.2.1. It didn't really bother me, though, because I don't like the solid black panel anyway.

Now that I think about it... Is it possible that the panel is influenced by the desktop background color? Try changing it from the default bluish color to black in Desktop Settings.

Get problems solved faster - get reply notifications through Jabber!
blackhole
Registered Member
OS
Alec wrote:Now that I think about it... Is it possible that the panel is influenced by the desktop background color? Try changing it from the default bluish color to black in Desktop Settings.

Already tried that. It doesn't have any effect. Like Medo said, the panel background is an svgz-file.

Last edited by blackhole on Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chrysalis
Registered Member
OS
Come on guys, when you buy a blue car does it come with blue tires, seats and dashboard? Untill 4.2 you needed depression pills to use kde and now we've gone to a blue extreme which doesnt match anything but the air wallpaper.
blackhole
Registered Member
OS
Chrysalis wrote:Come on guys, when you buy a blue car does it come with blue tires, seats and dashboard? Untill 4.2 you needed depression pills to use kde and now we've gone to a blue extreme which doesnt match anything but the air wallpaper.

Exactly what I've been saying.