This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Adapting profiles

Votes
Tags: powerdevil powerdevil powerdevil
(comma "," separated)
Primoz
OS

[Powerdevil] Adapting profiles

Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:48 pm
I was watching quite a lot of videos lately on my computer and the thing I hated the most that my screen was getting shutdown after 20mins of inactivity. Only now I realized that, it was due to PowerDevil settings.
I would like that Plasma/PowerDevil and Kwin would all work together to accomplish the best computer experience whatever you're working.
So when I'm watching videos no screensaver, no screen shutting and maybe no plasma.
I felt that at least when I'm watching full screen video plasma, especially notifications is unneeded.
The same when I'm playing games or for presentation.
When playing full-screen games I don't need Kwin effects not plasma notification.
I would even consider that both of them would be temporarily turned off while playing a game; or watching a movie.
Similar thing could be done for any other activity.
One thing that I remember from Ubuntu-Brainstorm is idea that wiggily windows would wiggle / jiggle in rhythm of music when you would be listening to it. Or something like that.
This is a package idea. the examples that I presented above are jut situations on how this idea could / would be used.

Last edited by bcooksley on Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Primoz, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Nov.
bratwurst
Registered Member
OS
Restarting plasma and kwin would take some time I suppose. Isn't there a way to prevent them draw stuff instead? When going back to "normal screen" again, drawing could once again be activated.

And the situations when fullscreen not is used... This is how Microsoft does it: Windows send a signal (WS_SYSCOMMAND/SC_SCREENSAVE) to the window that currently has focus. This signal is a question: Can I, Windows, turn off the screen please? The application has the right to answer "no you can't" and then windows won't. Think there where more signals like this. Seems like a good solution to me.

Last edited by bratwurst on Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Primoz
OS
bratwurst wrote:Restarting plasma and kwin would take some time I suppose. Isn't there a way to prevent them draw stuff instead? When going back to "normal screen" again, drawing could once again be activated.

And the situations when fullscreen not is used... Windows send a signal (WS_SYSCOMMAND/SC_SCREENSAVE) to the window that currently has focus. This signal is a question: Can I, Windows, turn off the screen please? The application has the right to answer "no you can't" and then windows won't. Think there where more signals like this. Seems like a good solution to me.

I guess that preventing plasma and kwin to draw stuff would be better.
And i suppose that a signal to window could be done with D-Bus.
But I'm no expert in D-Bus and what it's able or unable to do. I hope that someone who knows a bit more about this stuff comments on this idea.

Primoz, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Nov.
drf
KDE Developer
OS

RE: [Powerdevil] Adapting profiles

Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:34 pm
The possibility is already in and it's being worked on, it already works for suspension, so stay tuned :)