This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Trouble debugging installation problem with postflight on Mac OS X

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
meganomics
Registered Member
I just tried to install KDE 4.1.2 on my MacBook Pro, which runs Mac OS X Leopard. I saw the information on the installation page about a bug having to do with the postflight script. However, when I tried to run the suggested command line to fix it ([font=Courier]chmod a+x *.pkg/Contents/Resources/postflight[/font]), I was given the following error message:
[font=Courier]
chmod: *.pkg/Contents/Resources/postflight: No such file or directory[/font]

I tried running this command both before and after attempting the install, with the same effect. I also tried installing the packages individually in the order suggested at the top of the download page, but the same thing happened. When I ran a general search on my computer for files containing the name "postflight," it turned up nothing.

I'm 100% new to KDE (other than having run Amarok on my old Ubuntu machine) and not particularly programming-savvy in general. Any ideas would be extremely welcome.

Last edited by meganomics on Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CraigPaleo
Registered Member
OS
I'd greatly appreciate help with this too.

I'm having the exact same problem with the same error on Mac OS X 10.4.11 "chmod: *.pkg/Contents/Resources/postflight: No such file or directory"

I searched and found the directory went all the way up to: Developer/Extras/Palettes/QTKit.palette/Contents/Resources/postflight. I changed the directory in the command but still got the same error. What's wrong? The original post is almost a month old with no response thus far. Anyone?

Craig

Last edited by CraigPaleo on Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CraigPaleo
Registered Member
OS
Eureka! Success! I had to first cd to the directory where I had downloaded the KDE packages! In my case it was

cd Desktop/kde-mac

The terminal responded:

craig-s-computer:~/Desktop/kde-mac craig$
letting me know I was there.

I then pasted the command:

chmod a+x *.pkg/Contents/Resources/postflight

and got no error! The installation then went without a hitch!

The webmaster for http://mac.kde.org/?id=download and http://mac.kde.org/?id=Installation might want to add that important tidbit about cd-ing along with the red text. Your average Mac user isn't going to be too familiar with using the terminal. I know this release is aimed more at developers who'd know that but the rest of us regular folk are curious too.

Thanks for all your hard work but I can't believe it took *me* to figure this out.

Craig

Last edited by CraigPaleo on Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.