Reply to topic

Tiling Support

Lyle
Registered Member

Tiling Support

Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:33 am
Hello. This is my first post. I recently heard that KDE 4.10 is not going to have support for tiling anymore. This displeases me since I use tiling on a regular basis. I heard it may get replaced, but it doesn't sound like that is a very high priority for the dev team at this moment. How would I go about creating that script myself? What language do I need to use? Is there some documentation I can read to help me get started?
The old tiling support was lacking some features so i'm excited at the idea of creating something better.
luebking
Registered Member

Re: Tiling Support

Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:17 pm
M. Gottschlag has been working on the tiling script, ideally contact kwin@kde.org - if he doesn't respond, i'll send you his mail address.
User avatar lazylew
Registered Member
OS

Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:40 pm
Lyle wrote:... I use tiling on a regular basis. <snip>... i'm excited at the idea of creating something better.
+1 for tiling!
When you have created thar script, please keep us posted.

Linux Mint13 (maya) KDE-version
binpix
Registered Member

Sat May 25, 2013 9:39 am
Hi,
I would be happy to help too, so let me now if you need me.
User avatar scummos
KDE Developer
OS

Sat May 25, 2013 10:18 am
I tried to work on tiling recently, it's really fun stuff to do and shouldn't be very difficult to get to a usable level. The scripting API is well documented, and you can always ask in #kwin. I just stopped doing it again since I lack the time to finish (well, "finish", what I had way very prototypy) and especially maintain it. But it should be a fun project and doesn't really need any in-depth knowledge of... anything either.

</motivation for people to implemen titling support> ;)

Reply to topic