Topic locked

Internet Radio Stations Gone

iidbis
Registered Member
OS

Internet Radio Stations Gone

Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:34 pm
some weeks ago I checked out the 'internet' tab in Amarok not ever having paid any attention to it . Within this tab I found a large list of internet radio stations sorted by flavor . One subtab had 'blues' and under that were a couple of dozen selections .

Fast forward to last weekend I returned to the 'internet' tab and the ginormous list of internet radio stations seems to have vanished .

Did I hallucinate the original episode ?
User avatar Mamarok
Manager
OS

Re: Internet Radio Stations Gone

Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:11 am
What Amarok version are you talking about?

If you did a version change from 2.1.x to 2.2.0, then I presume you mean the Shoutcast service. We had to remove it for legal reasons. You are free to grab the URL from their website or write a script to do so, but we can't include it anymore because of the changed API conditions.

Mamarok, hanging out in the Amarok forum since August, 2007
Currently running Kubuntu Trusty 14.04, KDE 4.12.95, Amarok 2.8-git of the day
ethereal99
Registered Member
OS

Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:53 pm
I challenged Shoutcast.com on the statement about the "legal reasons" for Amarok not including shoutcast.com listings in its latest version. I had an email exchange with Faisal Sultan <faisal.sultan@corp.aol.com> who set me straight on some of the other info about why SC stations were not included and to quote his last email to me:
"The main problem is that Amarok is totally misreading the entire issue. They are reading the End-User TOS not the Application Developer / API TOS. Its unfortunate that this knee-jerk reaction on part of the Amarok developers is causing frustration for end-users like yourself.

If Amarok simply reached out to us they would know that other Open Source developers continues to use the SC Apis without any restrictions from our end. It seems like Amarok discontinued the SC feature on their own accord, which is a shame."

So it is somewhat disingenuous for Amarok to state this position of "legal reasons" for not including the SC feature in the latest release. I tried to find out more about this on IRC #amarok but it seems no one there is interested in including SC in future releases. As a matter of fact, <marky> suggested to one user they write a script to get the listings, similar to the post by Mamarok. Huh?? Why doesn't Amarok do it once and make it available again to its many users who find this feature useful and convenient? There seem to be more reasons than are being divulged by Amarok for it not to be included. This is too bad because there are other options that continue to include SC listings such as Exaile, VLC, Tunapie, to which I for one have turned. I think Amarok has underestimated the user base on this one and the techie tail should not be wagging the user-dog...what's the real reason or reasons for it not to be included??
User avatar Mamarok
Manager
OS

Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:11 pm
AFAIK Markey asked you to send this to the mailing list amarok@kde.org, no? I don't think it helps in the forum.

ethereal99
Registered Member
OS

Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:36 pm
Sorry, I'm not understanding you very well...in what way is this information not helpful? Is it because the assertions of Amarok and the legality of using SC in its software are not quite accurate? I thought I was providing support to Amarok and its users by digging this up. Since it is documented here, may I ask why it also has to be sent to amarok@kde.org and, if so, why couldn't, say, you or Marky do it? :/
User avatar Mamarok
Manager
OS

Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:01 am
I didn't say it was not helpful, but you were asked to send this information in a mail to amarok@kde.org in #amarok, why do you send it here? This forum is for user support, if you want to reach the developers, please send a mail.
Also, please include the complete information, what you wrote above looks very fragmented.

User avatar aapgorilla
Registered Member
OS

Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:15 am
ethereal99 wrote:I challenged Shoutcast.com on the statement about the "legal reasons" for Amarok not including shoutcast.com listings in its latest version. I had an email exchange with Faisal Sultan <faisal.sultan@corp.aol.com> who set me straight on some of the other info about why SC stations were not included and to quote his last email to me:
"The main problem is that Amarok is totally misreading the entire issue. They are reading the End-User TOS not the Application Developer / API TOS. Its unfortunate that this knee-jerk reaction on part of the Amarok developers is causing frustration for end-users like yourself.

If Amarok simply reached out to us they would know that other Open Source developers continues to use the SC Apis without any restrictions from our end. It seems like Amarok discontinued the SC feature on their own accord, which is a shame."

So it is somewhat disingenuous for Amarok to state this position of "legal reasons" for not including the SC feature in the latest release. I tried to find out more about this on IRC #amarok but it seems no one there is interested in including SC in future releases. As a matter of fact, <marky> suggested to one user they write a script to get the listings, similar to the post by Mamarok. Huh?? Why doesn't Amarok do it once and make it available again to its many users who find this feature useful and convenient? There seem to be more reasons than are being divulged by Amarok for it not to be included. This is too bad because there are other options that continue to include SC listings such as Exaile, VLC, Tunapie, to which I for one have turned. I think Amarok has underestimated the user base on this one and the techie tail should not be wagging the user-dog...what's the real reason or reasons for it not to be included??

interesting stuff you dug up
User avatar Mamarok
Manager
OS

Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:07 am
@aapgorilla: as interesting as it might look at first sight, it is basically nothing of use for us, since he didn't send it the correct way.
IANAL, but since this is legal matter it needs to be much more detailed and retraceable, what he states here is here-say and that is simply nothing we can base our decision upon.
Copies or forwards of the mail exchange he said he had to our mailing list would be much more useful. For now this is neither helpful nor really informative form a legal POV.
We base our decision upon clear facts, not on assertions by somebody with a quite obscure nick on IRC who apparently is reluctant to send a mail and give better indications.
For now this is rumor and contradicts the information we have.

User avatar aapgorilla
Registered Member
OS

Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:34 am
Mamarok wrote:The main problem is that Amarok is totally misreading the entire issue. They are reading the End-User TOS not the Application Developer / API TOS. Its unfortunate that this knee-jerk reaction on part of the Amarok developers is causing frustration for end-users like yourself.

It's very easy for Amarok devs to trace, just email to the address provided
User avatar Mamarok
Manager
OS

Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:26 am
aagpgorilla, it's pointless to discuss this here, it does not belong to the forum. End of discussion.

Topic locked