Reply to topic

Different running applications in different activities?

benlz
Registered Member
Hi, there's something not clear to me about kde 4.9 activities.
When I use two or more activities, if I open, for example, dolphin or audacious, these are confined into the current activity. So I won't see them on the other activity's desktop.
But this is not true for ALL applications! For example, if I open Google Chrome into the current activity, I will see it into all the running activities... why?
Can I change this, to get Chrome running in only one activity?
benlz
Registered Member
I've an update: this happens only with windows without title bar (G. Chrome and some Wine applicatinons). It seems that kwin can't manage these windows, in fact Google Chrome works like I want (=doesn't appears in all the running activities) if I force it to use kwin's title bar.
That's not really a good news, because I use a small screen for kde, so I want Chrome to be without title bar... any ideas?
User avatar bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Applications which are not being decorated by KWin are "unmanaged" - and thus are probably excluded from KWin's control, which would include window rules and activities I suspect. Not sure if there is anything that can be done in this case.

System Settings and Device Actions KCM maintainer
luebking
Registered Member
csousa
Registered Member
OS
I've just found a workaround for Chromium (and possibly for other applications without title bar)!

I also use Chromium without system title bar and it was getting spawned to all activities, not only the current one.

I was able to fix this behavior by:
creating a new "Window Rule" for Chromium (using the "Detect Window Properties" worked) and in the
"Appearance & Fixes"
tab checking
"No title bat and frame"
and setting it to
"Apply Initially": "No" .

Now, when a new Chromium is started, it appears only on the current activity and desktop, while still not using system title bar.

I'm using KDE 4.11.3 on Arch Linux.

Cheers,
Cristóvão
csousa
Registered Member
OS
Ok, I also had to do "apply initially" to "maximized" to avoid some quirks when opening multiple Chromium windows.

Reply to topic