The Discussions and Opinions forum is a place for open discussion regarding everything related to KDE, within the boundaries of KDE Code of Conduct. If you have a question or need a solution for a KDE problem, please post in the apppropriate forum instead.
Reply to topic

Old Computer / Best lightweight Config for speed?

User avatar mshelby
Registered Member
OS
Have an old single processor i686 that I'll put linux & KDE on it. I'd like some suggestions as to how users have configured older KDE DE boxes for lightweight footprint & speed. Assuming a generic KDE install:

I know this is a really "general" question without me giving specs and all but that is how I mean it to be. I still want it to look as nice as possible but I'd prefer speed instead of many features for this box. What should I turn off or disable "under the hood," and what should I disable on the plasma desktop features that are enabled by default?

Also, what features have you tinkered with to allow a good looking desktop environment?

Proud to be a user of KDE since version 1.0
User avatar bcooksley
Administrator
OS
The type of setup to use will depend heavily on a few things:
- Amount of RAM (if low - disable Nepomuk and minimize amount of on-startup applications)
- Graphics processor present (if not performant, disable KWin Desktop Effects)

Most notable thing in Plasma to disable will be the display of events in the Digital Clock - to avoid the startup of Akonadi. It really does depend on the exact specifications of the machine though.

System Settings and Device Actions KCM maintainer

Reply to topic