The Discussions and Opinions forum is a place for open discussion regarding everything related to KDE, within the boundaries of KDE Code of Conduct. If you have a question or need a solution for a KDE problem, please post in the apppropriate forum instead.
Topic locked

Annoying nepomuk, strigi, akonadi

User avatar Ignacio Serantes
Registered Member
OS

Re: ANNOYING nepomuk, strigi, akonadi

Sun May 06, 2012 12:33 pm
Tenno Seremel wrote:That was just an example of important features that did not work. i.e. I think it shouldn't even be released until things like this work. I'm checking Planet KDE once in a while and "fixed this and that" in Nepomuk/Akonadi/etc. messages are pretty scary sometimes if you think about those who used them before those fixes.

Sure, and using Plasma in KDE 4.1 was scary too and in the past Digikam don't works with a large number of files. There are two sides, how bad Nepomuk worked in the past and how it's working now. You can't valorate Nepomuk now using it's past problems. Please, consider I'm talking only about Nepomuk becouse I'm not using Akonadi,

Tenno Seremel wrote:Not really, unless you meant "you" in general, not me specifically. I have everything organized perfectly so I don't usually need search other than search by filename in a folder, and that can be done without those systems. I do use Digikam (using SQLite) to manage pictures on my PC, though. But I prefer it to be that way, "inside" one program.

Yes I'm talking in general. Probably you have your system well organized, mine too, but there are many things that a good organization cant reach. If you took my particular case, without Nepomuk my Asian lives, movies and doramas will be very difficult to manage.

Doramas or movies with several names (プライド, Puraido, Pride) are common and the same with person names (竹内結子, Takeuchi Yuuko, Takeuchi Yūko) and if you want to know about relations between persons or years this are more complicated. Obviously you could search the web but, I did this in seconds using Nepoogle and not in several minutes using Google.

One example, at the time I'm writing this post I have 2133 video files in my external HDs (not connected), and I only took less than a second to obtain this information. More facts, 35 are related to the actress 竹内結子 (Takeuchi Yūko), 11 files released in year 2012, and 3 have in common actor 阿部寛 (Abe Hiroshi).

The same to manage your tv shows, you could have a text file where you can control what shows are pending and what shows not and what is the last episode you watched but, honestly, if I need to manage this things in a paper I don't need a computer and the same if you are moving files from a viewed tree from a not viewed tree.

Maybe a software equivalent to Digikam could be useful but the fact is, even with images, to search I actually prefer Nepomuk to Digikam because the first method is fast if Digikam is not running.

I'm not trying to sell you Nepomuk but your phrase "For me personally this whole semantic desktop idea does not work and never will" it's totally wrong. You can explain that "For me personally this whole semantic desktop ides does not USEFUL and never will" and this is fine, you can use it or not, but you can explain that it's not working because it's false.

Ignacio Serantes, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Nov.
Tenno Seremel
Registered Member
OS
Ignacio Serantes wrote:Sure, and using Plasma in KDE 4.1 was scary too

Plasma based desktop is still slow to load for the first time. At least it's usable nowadays. And yes, it was a bad idea to do release with borked Plasma. There was 4.0 before that. And 4.2 was prone to crashes. Don't know about 4.3, but 4.4 crashed once in a while too while I was configuring it. Did not happen so far in 4.7.4. If this isn't laughable I don't know what is. Bugs happen, I know, does not mean I should like them.

Ignacio Serantes wrote:and in the past Digikam don't works with a large number of files

How long ago was that? I haven't seen it at that time, so I don't know. Besides, nothing depends on Digikam itself. It's 1 program, it either does what I need, or it doesn't and I choose something else.

Ignacio Serantes wrote:There are two sides, how bad Nepomuk worked in the past and how it's working now. You can't valorate Nepomuk now using it's past problems.

What I was saying is… it had problems for a long time and that past is not quite far away from now. You are saying it like that was hundred years ago. And I'm not even sure all of them are fixed yet. Semantic desktop was thrown at user's throat while making statements like (not a quote) "you don't understand anything, it's the future, now shut up."

Ignacio Serantes wrote:Maybe a software equivalent to Digikam could be useful but the fact is, even with images, to search I actually prefer Nepomuk to Digikam because the first method is fast if Digikam is not running.

And a price for this is… way too much. KDE loads in about 20 seconds for the first time for me, for example. Although I might try razor-qt as desktop later.

Ignacio Serantes wrote:"For me personally this whole semantic desktop idea does not work and never will" it's totally wrong.

I reserve the right to call what works for me and what isn't, thank you.

This looks too much like a flamewar, so… I think that should be enough from me :}

Do not try this at home, part 1. Second most favorite command after KDE upgrade: # chmod -x /usr/bin/kactivitymanagerd
Registered Member
OS
Tenno Seremel wrote:
Ignacio Serantes wrote:"For me personally this whole semantic desktop idea does not work and never will" it's totally wrong.

I reserve the right to call what works for me and what isn't, thank you.

This looks too much like a flamewar, so… I think that should be enough from me :}

As I told you Nepomuk it's working and if useful, for me and for other people, so you have the right to say you think it's not useful or it's slow but it's not working. I'm only trying to explain clearly that, for me, Nepomuk it's working and, if you deserve the right to explain that "it's not working and never will" I have right to explain it's working, is useful and you are not right ;).

And, for sure, there is no intention on my side to begin a flamewar :), sorry If I sounds rude but it's clear that English is not my language, and the only reason to wrote an answer was your "never will".

Tenno Seremel
Registered Member
OS
For me … never will

That's what I said (at least intended). I never implied others cannot use it :)

Do not try this at home, part 1. Second most favorite command after KDE upgrade: # chmod -x /usr/bin/kactivitymanagerd
Registered Member
OS
Tenno Seremel wrote:
For me … never will

That's what I said (at least intended). I never implied others cannot use it :)

It's the same that my father explain to me about computers... "never will" :)

Tenno Seremel
Registered Member
OS
Ignacio Serantes wrote:It's the same that my father explain to me about computers... "never will" :)

And this is relevant because…? "Computers will never work" is completely different statement from "semantic desktop will never work for me" :P

washu
Registered Member
I must throw a pebble to this discussion...
Because first I do with Nepomuk on new systems is "rpm -e --nodeps" (as well as akonadi)

Its self-eating and growing monster I must say... No one need it except developers... but only for developing!
Just read this thread... something like this:
"why do you put it while we don't want"
"its so good and you can disable it"
"but why its default inside..."
"eee.... its very good"

Dear developers... do something for people not for yourself because soon you will wake up
with KDE hated by people! System is for people not people for system. Its really annoying that you know better what people want.

And one says that Nepomuk is useful... Well... for 0.01% people maybe yes. Let them install it by themselves.
Otherwise we will have soon full bluray Fedoras full of such ****.

BTW... Same with new "biosdevname". Another piece of code made without reason.

Michael "Po"
dutchkind
Registered Member
OS
I came here because I too struggle with nepomuk/akonadi. Apart from this I am quite happy with kde4 and I wouldn't return to kde3, apart from a few minor issues. All the time I read the same reply that you can disable nepomuk. This is true, and I always had it disabled, and akonadi was disabled by the famous chmod -x method since there was no other way (btw I use Opensuse) At time of writing I use kde 4.8.5 and I saw with this version that kalarm had stopped working without akonadi, resulting in it trying to start akonadi and running my cpu very hot. I only needed to be reminded of some things at some dates, nothing more.

So ok, I enabled akonadi and it is running now. First thing I see is some mail indexing service. I don't use kmail but thunderbird and my mail is encrypted, I don't want indexing. There is no real good way to disable any akonadi agents nor is there a way to know what is indexed and what not nor a way to configure that. And akonadi starts nepomuk even when I have that disabled. So I am also one of those users that feels nepomuk and akonadi was forced on him. I would want some tool to disable or enable the akonadi agents ot my choosing, stopping a service didn't help, it restarts immediately again! The only way to remove the maildir agents was to remove the concerning desktop files from /usr/share/akonadi/agents. This should not be needed!

Another thing I run into is that nepomuk and akonadi are not properly stopped at log out. I run a system with the home dirś encrypted and it's filesystem gets corrupted because of this. I had to write a script for in ~/kde4/shutdown to stop akonadi and the nepomuk and this seems to fix the problem for now. These are items that also need work and serious fixing!
User avatar bcooksley
Administrator
OS
With regards to the issue of Nepomuk and Akonadi not being shutdown properly - please file a bug against each of them at bugs.kde.org.

If you do not use KDE PIM applications, then Akonadi is of no use to you - I would recommend disabling the events support in the Digital Clock applet, as well as the Contacts runner in KRunner to avoid it being started on login.

In KDE Trunk at least (and possibly KDE 4.9) an option exists in System Settings to allow you to disable the indexing of email stored in Akonadi by Nepomuk.

System Settings and Device Actions KCM maintainer
eticre
Registered Member
OS
LinuxFromRussia wrote:
pgfault wrote:Just to toss in my $0.015 -

If you think indexing operations can cripple your desktop, imagine what they can do when your home directories are on NFS.

It would be nice if a distro would decouple akonadi/nepomuk/strigi/soprano/etc from KDE4 so that for environments like ours these packages will not be installed and hence unavailable for users to enable, making our fileservers happy 24/7.

We're looking at our next desktop OS upgrade later this Spring, and will be going away from KDE. Leading contenders are SL6 w/ gnome-2, and openSUSE 12 w/ xfce4. We'll add individual KDE apps as necessary - kile, kate, and kdevelop are popular - and chmod 000 anything that needs it. Early evaluations of these two options have been encouraging.

Nice! Glad to see support to my opinion from other users!
Agree with you, heavy bloatware unwanted and unspecified by user is a FATAL for KDE4. It's future in danger, but developers are blind to this problem.
Normal adequate solution for this - disable "akonadi/nepomuk/strigi/soprano/etc" and other UNWANTED heavy functionality by default.

How about online petition?

absolutely 's agreement !!!
akonadi and 100MB mysql use are absurd

please STOP IT !

I DO NOOOOT WANT MYSQL INSTALLED !!!
User avatar einar
Administrator
OS

Re: ANNOYING nepomuk, strigi, akonadi

Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:22 am
Let me remind you all again: please follow the Code of Conduct when posting here. No all caps, no "shouting" (and by the way, your message will get across much better).

"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent."
Plasma FAQ maintainer - Plasma programming with Python
eticre
Registered Member
OS
yesterday i ave installed kde at my friends, he is not stupid, when it opened and saw kmail running mysql
he asked me if it was a mistake...
audunpo
Registered Member
I have somewhat unwillingly switched to KDE from gnome and I'm starting to like it. Except nepomuk. I have two machines running KDE, and nepomuk never worked. I keep restarting it, deleting trx files to get it going, but it always crashes again. Sometimes it will list some files when I do searches but most files it will not list that should be in the list. I always end up using the commandline with locate and grep instead. Please get rid of this monster as it seems it has grown too big to tame.
User avatar bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Have you tried disabling it, in System Settings?
And do you have any backtraces - from the KDE parts of Nepomuk in particular?
It seems you have quite an unstable Virtuoso - which should not happen (note that Virtuoso is an external dependency and is not maintained by KDE).

System Settings and Device Actions KCM maintainer
User avatar einar
Administrator
OS
Some Virtuoso versions are buggier than others (6.1.5 is famous in that regards), so if you have issues with it, please upgrade to the latest version (or bug your distribution to do so).

"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent."
Plasma FAQ maintainer - Plasma programming with Python

Topic locked