The Discussions and Opinions forum is a place for open discussion regarding everything related to KDE, within the boundaries of KDE Code of Conduct. If you have a question or need a solution for a KDE problem, please post in the apppropriate forum instead.
Reply to topic

KDE with who: suse, debian, kubuntu, fedora, etc?

jonnymr
Registered Member
OS
I love kde.
but I've a doubt:
what 'distro' is the best to use with kde? and why?

I use for desktop (not server) and I use a lot of kind aplications.

tanks for you sugestion.
User avatar Chaosphere
Registered Member
OS
I think Chakra is. A very good distro that have as DE only KDE...
User avatar tancrackers
Registered Member
OS
I actually recently returned to KDE during the past week because of opensuse's implementation of it. I tried gnome-shell on it and am very disappointed. But KDE on opensuse is what has gotten me to drop not only gnome, but ubuntu as well.
Pros:
Yast, lots of built in administrative options like low-level kernel settings, a firewall by default, Apper has come a LONG way, nice take on kdm, better repos imo, decent installer, stable, snappier, and it actually has lots of repos. The repos are pretty easy to install too.
Lots of users and community support.

Cons:
Yast... yes a pro AND a con. It is very powerful, but by god it takes getting used to.
The administrative stuff might scare you, I know it scared me at first.
Repos aren't as easy to add as PPAs.

Kubuntu:
Very vanilla and up to date KDE. It is a direct ubuntu derivative with support from Canonical. HUGE user base and community. You will not get any better than (K)ubuntu in this regard. Fantastic hardware support. If there's any Linux distro that will have support, it is (K)ubuntu. Very user friendly, and PPAs are the best way to get updates.
However, Kubuntu has quite a bit of stability problems. Worse, it is sort of treated like a rejected child as Ubuntu is the real distro in the company's eyes.
However, (K)ubuntu inherits Debian's ~30,000 packages plus more.

Fedora:
Very up to date, but a bit of bugginess. KDE falls to GNOME big time in fedora as gnome is contributed largely by Red Hat and gnome is the main desktop.

PCLinuxOS
Very interesting implementation. Made to look a lot like windows. Uses BFS Scheduler as the default kernel. Very user friendly and a rolling release.

Debian
Solid and stable, but VERY out of date packages. Not friendly at all really. Completely community based. 100% software in every regard; EVEN THE KERNEL has not an ounce of proprietary software. If your hardware needs a proprietary driver, you have to add it using a usb stick during installation. LOTS of packages though, ~30,000.
User avatar AHoneybun
Registered Member
OS
Your reasons/pros and cons are very nicely put and I believe that opensuse holds KDE in high demand as well, and as such they try to keep it nice and stable, unlike Ubuntu did with the 11.04 reason. Sure YaST is a bit of a over done with the control but so is KDE itself, but that is why I love KDE and GNU/Linux in general, complete control of the PC that "I bought".
Sundance Kid
Registered Member
Best to try a few, you'll find the right one for you eventually. But here would be my distro starting points, in no particular order...

openSUSE, Gentoo, Sabayon, Chakra, Mageia, ROSA.

I was happy enough with the KDE implementation in those distros, although I preferred one or two over others. Plenty to go at with those too, all different and at different stages of development. Some will test your Linux knowledge more than others (Gentoo). Some combine the best of all worlds (Sabayon). Others just might appeal, just because. Plus, some may work out of the box for you, some you might have to work at to get working with your hardware (YMMV).
User avatar Moult
Global Moderator
OS
Might I recommend that you try looking at it the other way around? ie. instead of saying "I like KDE, which distro should I use?", ask "Regardless of my UI choice, which distro's mantra fits my own?"

Moult, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
thinkMoult - source for tech, art, and animation: hilarity and interest ensured!
WIPUP.org - a unique system to share, critique and track your works-in-progress projects.
User avatar dhunter
Registered Member
OS
I'm running Debian 7 with KDE 4.8.4 and Fedora 18 with 4.10.4, and let me tell you I'm very happy with both, the 4.10.4 is nicer due to the newer version but Debian's KDE is running flawless.

I've used Kubuntu in the past and it's ok most of the time, but the Ubuntu base is a madness, too heavy, too unstable, I switched that workstation to Fedora two months ago and won't look back, I think the Kubuntu team should join the Debian Qt/KDE team, more now with the Mir/Wayland dispute.
joshaughnessy
Registered Member
jonnymr wrote:I love kde.
but I've a doubt:
what 'distro' is the best to use with kde? and why?

I use for desktop (not server) and I use a lot of kind aplications.

tanks for you sugestion.

update to what I said below: 13nov2-13 -
Running Kubuntu 13.10 on one machine, it's all good!
Running openSUSE 13.1 KDE on another, works brilliantly!
running Xubuntu 13.10 on another 7 year old machine 1.6ghz, 2gb ram.... lots of fun there too.

Conclusion: different distros but all working well (me grinning like a cheshire cat) Maybe people are starting to get those desktops refined and workable.... thanks to the efforts of all those teams of people. Now, I don't know which I like best..... so still using all three for many weeks now. Hat's off to those Ubuntu community teams keeping other desktops than Unity on the go. openSUSE is a very nice implementation of KDE, but so is..... well, whichever you might prefer

it's maybe a bit late this reply, BUT
I've tried lots and either Arch Linux (building from the bottom up) and openSUSE Tumbleweed are the most stable and can be configured to be supercool and lightning fast. Problem is, these require a little knowledge and skill (though not too much, if only you can read).
Kubuntu is messy if you work with audio or video in any professional way; in spite of the great community and available ppa's.
Arch linux starts stripped down which gives a person clear control over where they're going. When you have to build something step by step it's so much easier to see where the fault lies if something doesn't seem quite right.
openSUSE is trickier but gives great results in the end with great stability. YAST is a great tool along with zypper for updates. One of these would be my recommendation and well worth the effort.
User avatar lcafiero
Registered Member
OS
I am currently using KDE on Korora, a Fedora respin, and it's running like a champ. While I am new to KDE (but not to Linux), I have also found it worked well when I used Kubuntu many years ago.
sison
Registered Member
Thanks for info.

Reply to topic