Reply to topic

KMail does not react anymore when signing eMail with x509

User avatar demuth
Registered Member
OS
Good Morning

Recently I discovered a new problem with KMail.

When I send an EMail from my IMAP account and try to sign this mail with my S/Mime x509 certificate, KMail kind of "hangs up".
Both the KMail WIndow and the Email-Composer-Window go "blank" and the Mousecursor is showing a working state. This happens after I have been asked for the certificate's password by the pinentry-qt4 window. When I click "cancel" in that window Kmail crashes. pgp works without troubles.

KDE-PIM Version 4.10.2

Edit: Kmail also hangs-up when trying to open a recieved s/mime signed message. ("Please wait while the signature is being verified"). AkonadiConsole shows the same thing.

Any Ideas?

BR

Dustin
User avatar einar
Administrator
OS
I can't reproduce this at the moment (both with S/MIME and PGP). Did you try killing pinentry-qt4 after entering your passphrase (even if you no longer see the window)? Sometimes it hangs and does not give back control to KMail.

"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent."
Plasma FAQ maintainer - Plasma programming with Python
User avatar demuth
Registered Member
OS
You are right, it looks like "gpgsm" does not terminate. If I force-kill the process, e-Mails are send AND received eMails are successfully verified.

question is: why doesn't gpgsm terminate?

gpgsm (GnuPG) 2.0.19
libgcrypt 1.5.2
libksba 1.3.0

this behavior still occurs after a reinstall of gpgsm and libgcrypt
User avatar einar
Administrator
OS
Oddly enough, I've got the same versions as you but no issues... what is the version of the libgpgme++ library you have installed?

User avatar demuth
Registered Member
OS
I don't have a "libgpgme++" intalled.
Just a "gpgme" which is in Version 1.4.0-1
User avatar demuth
Registered Member
OS
so... does anybody else have an idea?
User avatar einar
Administrator
OS
Is gpg-agent working normally? Do you get the same hangs if you try decrypting something from the gpg command line when in X? (that should bring up pinentry-qt4)?

User avatar demuth
Registered Member
OS
If I run
Code: Select all
gpgsm --sign testfile >> testfilesign
gpgsm -e -r dustin.demuth@uni-muenster.de test.png >> encrypt 
gpgsm -d  encrypt >> decrypt.png   

everything seems to work out fine.
User avatar einar
Administrator
OS
Can you look at bugs.kde.org to see if a bug has been reported? (Because there used to be one) If there isn't any, please file a bug on bugs.kde.org. Otherwise add your comment to the most relevant report.

User avatar demuth
Registered Member
OS
User avatar demuth
Registered Member
OS
updated to 4.10.3 today. let's see if theres a change

--edit:

no change with the following config:

kdepim 4.10.3
gpgme 1.4.1-1
gnupg 2.0.19-7

for documentation: there is another bug report in the archlinux tracker: https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/35112
https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/35112#comment109427 nicky726 states that: "downgrading gpgme to 1.3.2-1 solves the issue. ", which appears to be true, at least for me.
User avatar einar
Administrator
OS
It's possibly a bug in gpgme. I do not see it with gpgme 1.4.0 however. You may want to file a bug against gpgme at https://bugs.g10code.com/gnupg/index

User avatar sergio.martins
KDE Developer
OS

KOrganizer maintainer and PIM developer

Reply to topic