Topic locked

Common questions on Akonadi and Nepomuk in KDE PIM

User avatar einar
Administrator
OS
Starting from version 4.7, KDE PIM has integrated Nepomuk for many operations such as search, message tagging, and address auto-completion. This post answers some of the common questions related to the state of this integration.

Q. Will email which is encrypted be indexed in any form, or will it be ignored?
A. It will be ignored since the search index is not secure.

Q. Will the indexer attempt to match the contents of my address book against emails?
A. Yes, the extracted contacts should be merged by email address.

Q. What occurs when email is read or deleted using other clients on shared mail boxes (such as IMAP mail boxes)?
A. It's either removed or re-indexed.

Q. If the IMAP server supports it, does Akonadi use the server's search capabilities or index it using Nepomuk anyway?
A. The indexer is protocol agnostic, that is, it works regardless of the server type used, be it POP, IMAP, or local mailbox. If a supported item (a message) is in Akonadi, it's indexed. If it is changed it's reindexed, and if it is deleted it's removed from the index. It doesn't really matter where the item is coming from.

Q. The performance of mail indexing is slow, how can it be improved?
A. There are different ways to achieve that:

• Index only what you need. Right click on a folder, select Folder Properties, then the Maintenance tab, then "Disable fulltext indexing": this will disable indexing for that specific folder;
  • Turn off email indexing altogether by unchecking the relevant option in System Settings, Desktop Search (only available from 4.8 and later);
  • Wait until initial indexing has completed. Indexing is completed when the akonadi_nepomuk_feederrc file in your KDEHOME/share/config directory (KDEHOME is usually .kde or .kde4) contains the following:
    Code: Select all
    [InitialIndexing]
    IndexCompatLevel=3
  • Locate the akonadi_nepomuk_feederrc file and change DisableIdleDetection to true:
    [akonadi_nepomuk_feeder]
    DisableIdleDetection=true
    This will cause the feeder to keep on indexing regardless of idle status, increasing CPU usage significantly but on the long run reducing the time to complete indexing. As a matter of fact, the real performance issue is the initial indexing, as it can take very long (days with large mailboxes), and is restarted if interrupted (i.e. because of a restart, not by sleep-mode or alike). Once initial indexing is over, performance will be significantly better. The KDE PIM developers are aware of this problem and will work on a solution.

Thanks go to Christian Mollenkopf for answering these questions.

"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent."
Plasma FAQ maintainer - Plasma programming with Python
User avatar toad
Global Moderator
OS
Thanks for pulling all that info together and compiling it for everyone to see - smells of wiki page...

Sid
User avatar iskendar
Registered Member
OS
Using kontact 4.7.3 on kde 4.7.4. I don't seem to have an akonadi_nepomuk_feederrc file in .kde/share/config. I do have an akonadi_nepomuk_email_feederrc and an akonadi_nepomuk_calendar_feederrc. Was that a typo in your FAQ, or is my situation different?
Also, my akonadi_nepomuk_email_feederrc has IndexCompatLevel=1, what does this mean?

iskendar, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Dec.
User avatar bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Please be aware that the Nepomuk indexing agent in Akonadi has changed significantly between KDE 4.7.x and KDE 4.8.x. As such the IndexCompatLevel numbers likely mean completely different things.

System Settings and Device Actions KCM maintainer
User avatar einar
Administrator
OS
An update: indexing has been considerably reworked in current git master, leading to increased performance. I'm not sure it will be backported, however, as the change was quite intrusive.

alukin
Registered Member
Please someone post short consistent reply on question:
"How can I get rid of akonadi, nepomuk and frieds?"

alukin, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Nov.
User avatar bcooksley
Administrator
OS
At this time it is not possible to operate KDE PIM without either Akonadi or Nepomuk.
Their activation can be inhibited by disabling Nepomuk and disabling all Akonadi functionality in applications where that is optional - and by avoiding the applications which require it's usage.

System Settings and Device Actions KCM maintainer
User avatar einar
Administrator
OS
As a further update, work is ongoing in searching and several substantial performance improvements have been committed: most of them will see the light on 4.8.2.

kdeforumsuser2010
Registered Member
OS
Nice list. Thanks.

I found the resources below helpful in understanding Akonadi and Nepomuk.

In very simple terms:
Nepomuk Services index "everything". Strigi is a Nepomuk Service that indexes files. Nepomuk provides another Service to query/search. The data that is indexed is user provided or automatic (metadata that already exists), including data from Akonadi. Akonadi provides a common API for KDE applications to read/write "data" to a common cache. Akonadi can pass data to Nepomuk. Where Nepomuk has configurable (add/remove/stop/start) Services. Akonadi has Agent Resources. These are generic frameworks meant to be used in many ways. Today Nepomuk can easily be turned off entirely via "Configure Desktop", or the individual file indexing Service, Strigi, can be turned off. Other Services can be manipulated, but not through "Configure Desktop".

There seems to be no way to turn off Akonadi groupware caching via "Configure Desktop". Theoretically, if a user does not need/want Nepomuk, and Akonadi is caching a *copy* of the data, it seems a user could hack a desktop without Nepomuk or Akonadi. However I'm not sure this is a long-term solution. The unknown for anyone in this boat is, how long will KDE-4 (KDE-SC-1??) continue to give current users an option. Not to be a downer (or an upper, depending on your wants/needs/desktop vision) as more of KDE gets converted to Nepomuk and Akonadi (ie., plasma activity Nepomuk-based storage), there might not be a choice.

I still have on my list to read more about:
  • how are the software components that make up these framework architectures licensed (api's, libraries, backend, etc),
  • how is security implemented (user and data),
  • maintenance (backup, reclaiming storage/vacuum, restoring) ,
  • evaluating hardware requirements (cpu, disk quotas, etc).

Demystifying Akonadi:
http://vizzzion.org/blog/2010/08/demystifying-akonadi/

Development/Tutorials/Metadata/Nepomuk/NepomukServer:
http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Tut ... omukServer

Akonadi misconception #1: where is my data?:
http://blogs.kde.org/node/4503

Development/Tutorials/Metadata/Nepomuk/TipsAndTricks:
http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Tut ... psAndTrick
User avatar šumski
Registered Member
OS
For enabling contact look-up stored in nepomuk, add this to $KDEHOME/share/config/kpimcompletionorder
[General]
UseNepomuk=true

This should work for KDE >= 4.9.0
User avatar valtermura
Registered Member
OS
Hi All

when I activate Nepomuk, a bubble appears and tell me that "Nepomuk cannot find the virtuoso backend engine", so for security reasons it has been disabled. :'(
I searched and find in .kde/share/apps/nepomuk/repository/main/data the folder "virtuosobackend", and it contains several files inside.

So, what is the error? Can I solve it?

KDE 4.9.2 in Kubuntu 12.04

TIA
Valter
User avatar einar
Administrator
OS
Check if you have "libsoprano_virtuosobackend.so" in your library dir (usually /usr/lib for a 32 bit system and /usr/lib64 in a 64bit system) or in its subidrectories.

cyrwyn
Registered Member
I have the libsoprano_virtuosobackend.so library in the right place, but I also get the Nepomuk error that it can't find the backend engine every time right after bootup. . I'm running the latest fully updated PCLOS with KDE 4.8.3 and Kmail 4.8.3. Also have the problem that mail subfolders are not displayed, although they are in the right place in the filesystem. Is this an akonadi or nepomuk indexing problem?
User avatar einar
Administrator
OS
Neither, likely a Soprano issue. Can you open a relevant thread in the Semantic Desktop forum?

User avatar einar
Administrator
OS
De-sticking and locking as most of the information here is now obsolete.

Topic locked