Reply to topic

Laptop booting stuck at login screen

sandy
Registered Member
I have installed and started using KDE Kubuntu on my Lenovo Z580 for a week now. Since yesterday it could not boot after i enter the username and password. It repeats asking login credentials repeatedly. I have tried changing the grub file in /etc/default directory, but didnt work. I understood that this problem is faced by many kde users. Did anyone sucessfully overcome this problem??

Thanks in advance,
Sandeep.
m.saisandeep93@gmail.com
User avatar google01103
Manager
OS
why do you "understand that this problem is faced by many kde users"?

can you post links to others experiencing this problem?

in those posts/threads regarding this issue are there posted solutions?

why did you edit your grub file? what would it have to do with KDE?

can you login to you account in terminal mode (alt+ctrl+F1) ?

OpenSuse 13.1 x64, KDE 4.12.x

Problem solved? Please click on Image below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.
User avatar scummos
KDE Developer
OS
Sounds like the session the login manager tries to start crashes or exits immediately. Try selecting a different session type.

sandy
Registered Member
Yes, I could get the terminal with alt+ctrl+F1. I have seen posts of people having the same problem as mine. I have retained the changes i made in grub file. I tried installing kde-workspace again(sudo apt-get install kde-workspace), but of no use. I just could not understand what the problem is because i have used it well for a week and i have not made much modifications also. Will installing another OS help me get out of this problem??

Thank you...
Sandeep
User avatar google01103
Manager
OS
if you can login in in terminal mode (alt+ctrl+F1) then it's not your account and try as scummos suggests at the login manager screen change your session type (you should have a non-KDE window manager option available)

OpenSuse 13.1 x64, KDE 4.12.x

Problem solved? Please click on Image below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.
User avatar bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Another thing you could try is checking the contents of ~/.xsession-errors when logged in at the terminal. It will usually indicate what is wrong.

System Settings and Device Actions KCM maintainer

Reply to topic