Reply to topic

KD4.9 freespacenotifier in Dolphin

Rob5
Registered Member
Posts
22
Karma
0

KD4.9 freespacenotifier in Dolphin

Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:08 am
Hi,
I was used to the free space bar system in Dolphin in KDE4.8 and previous.

Image .... promoted in The Great Features of KDE Workspaces and Applications- Dolphin

The folder size bar at the bottom of Dolphin has also disappeared.
I don't find the way to activate this in KDE4.9.

Is it a known bug ? Missing package ? Or a feature removed for certainly a very good reason, but which should be communicated, because not what is expected when moving from KDE4.X to KDE4.X+1.

Thanks.
User avatar google01103
Manager
Posts
4960
Karma
17
OS
for the "size bar at the bottom" settings -> general -> status bar -> show space information, note this is not "folder size" but space available on the partition


OpenSuse 13.1 x64, KDE 4.12.x

Problem solved? Please click on Image below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.
Rob5
Registered Member
Posts
22
Karma
0
Ok for the "size bar at the bottom" (option I always have difficulty to find again).

But the folder size information in the panel ? Bug ? Regression ?
I don't find any information on this regression.
User avatar google01103
Manager
Posts
4960
Karma
17
OS
no idea - the size bar in panel may have been removed in the move to Dolphin 2.0 for various reasons including it duplicates the size bar at bottom.

You can always submit a bug report


OpenSuse 13.1 x64, KDE 4.12.x

Problem solved? Please click on Image below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.
Rob5
Registered Member
Posts
22
Karma
0
A so called 'bug' is usually related to a specification.
Who knows if the spec has been changed and why ?
This regression (from user point of view) is so obvious I cannot imagine it has not been seen before KDE4.9 release.
The key point seems more to be: where can we track such regression, assuming it has been a decision to remove a functionality from KDE4.8 to KDE4.9 which seems really strange.
User avatar bcooksley
Administrator
Posts
18586
Karma
83
OS
I suspect this functionality was removed because of two reasons (although you would have to ask the developers to really know):
1) Reading this information, especially for systems with a large number of mounted remote paths or with inactive optical drives caused significant delays in startup.
2) There was no longer space for it when the area was redone.


System Settings and Device Actions KCM maintainer
Image
freininghaus
Moderator
Posts
176
Karma
1
OS
Rob5 wrote:A so called 'bug' is usually related to a specification.
Who knows if the spec has been changed and why ?
This regression (from user point of view) is so obvious I cannot imagine it has not been seen before KDE4.9 release.

Peter has rewritten the entire Places Panel from scratch for KDE 4.9. To be honest, I don't know if he left out the 'space notifier' on purpose or if there just wasn't enough time to implement it.
Rob5 wrote:The key point seems more to be: where can we track such regression

At bugs.kde.org, just like any other bug.
Rob5
Registered Member
Posts
22
Karma
0
freininghaus wrote:At bugs.kde.org, just like any other bug.
Nothing found, and this is why I ask here.
Can you point exactly where you track this spec modification so late in the KDE4 life ?
User avatar google01103
Manager
Posts
4960
Karma
17
OS
if nothing is found on bugs.kde.org then you should create a bug report


OpenSuse 13.1 x64, KDE 4.12.x

Problem solved? Please click on Image below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.
freininghaus
Moderator
Posts
176
Karma
1
OS
Rob5 wrote:Can you point exactly where you track this spec modification so late in the KDE4 life ?

I really don't know what 'spec modification' you are talking about. Basically, the only places where we keep track of things are bugs.kde.org and the Git commit logs.
Rob5
Registered Member
Posts
22
Karma
0
google01103 wrote:if nothing is found on bugs.kde.org then you should create a bug report

All depends on what you call a "bug".
If the KDE4 spec has been changed to remove this freespacenotifier in Dolphin, then there is no bug.
What is just missing in that case is the reason why the spec has been modified so late in the KDE4 life cycle.

If removing the freespacenotifier bar is caused by a software code modification which has not been tested enough before KDE4.9 release, then this is a bug.

The freespacenotifier bar is still available in the file-picker, which makes hard to understand the Dolphin modification (lack of consistency).

Well, first what is the spec ? And therefore, let's talk about bug or not bug.
Hard to understand how KDE4 spec can still be changed at 4.9 release.
New spec should be addressed to KDE5 only, and KDE4.9 focused on stability.

If your request is to open a bug report to inform a KDE developer that the "freespacenotifier bar" has disappeared in Dolphin, I cannot believe any KDE developer has not seen it, then useless.
Or if the 'bug-list' is also used to track the specification changes, a "bug" should have been open by a developer to inform about this modification.
User avatar Peter Penz
Registered Member
Posts
11
Karma
0
Rob5 wrote:...
Well, first what is the spec ? And therefore, let's talk about bug or not bug.
Hard to understand how KDE4 spec can still be changed at 4.9 release.
New spec should be addressed to KDE5 only, and KDE4.9 focused on stability.

There is no "KDE4 spec", it is up to the maintainers of an application to adjust an application for each feature-release in a way they think it is best. There is also no rule that behavioral changes or features can only be done for KDE5, each 4.x release may contain new features, bug-fixes and behavioral changes (see also http://techbase.kde.org/Schedules for more details).

If users disagree to some decisions, the usual way is to provide a bug-report or feature-request at bugs.kde.org. This also allows other users to add their comments to a specific report or vote for a report. Dependent on the feedback the maintainer of an application might change his point of view, increase or decrease the priority of the bug etc.

In the case of the freespace-notifier I'm to blame that it has disappeared. As Frank mentioned above I rewrote the places-panel to be able to apply some improvements like having groups. Regarding the freespace-notifier I've dropped it on purpose for various reasons. However if you disagree please open a report at bugs.kde.org so that the feedback also of other users can be tracked there. Thanks!
Rob5
Registered Member
Posts
22
Karma
0
Peter Penz wrote:Regarding the freespace-notifier I've dropped it on purpose for various reasons.
However if you disagree please open a report at bugs.kde.org
I don't agree or disagree, especially if you have 'various reasons' to remove the freespace-notifier in Dolphin.
I just point a lack of consistency and lack of stability of KDE4.9 which seems to be in permanent beta-test.
It's a kind of contradiction expecting a bug-report requesting the freespace-notifier back again, while you say having 'various reasons' to remove it.
Mixing 'bugs' and 'specs changes' is too confusing for me (as already said).
Removing a feature from KDE 4.X to KDE 4.X+1 should be more supervised (personal point of view).
However, the file-picker developer should also be informed of these 'various reasons' in order to warn him that freespace-notifier should definitively be removed, to make KDE4.9 more consistent.

In order to avoid having to explain to some users why freespace-notifier has been removed in KDE4.9, I have adopted KDE4.8 for some deployments. (KDE4.8 being used by Kubuntu 12.10 LTS / Long Term Support).
This will make life easier to me.
User avatar martinc
Registered Member
Posts
9
Karma
0
OS
Peter Penz wrote:However if you disagree please open a report at bugs.kde.org so that the feedback also of other users can be tracked there. Thanks!

And here it is!
https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=317807
Rob5
Registered Member
Posts
22
Karma
0
Or more here: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=315405

"The way KFilePlacesView, which was used in Dolphin 1.x and is still used in the file dialog, retrieves the free space in the paint() method is, at least IMHO, a big hack.
Then it makes totally sense to hold this feature back.
"

? ? ?
No technical solution to replace a hack by something which is not a hack, then feature removed.
Not really user oriented I think.

 
Reply to topic

Bookmarks



Who is online

Registered users: AGB, anli, Baidu [Spider], bilbo, Bing [Bot], bshah, Exabot [Bot], garthecho, Google [Bot], google01103, Hans, jensreuterberg, jsirek, jstaniek, koriun, metzman, MiceAreVeryNice, MSNbot Media, paulus3005, pedrorodriguez, Sentynel, vascobasque, Yahoo [Bot]