Reply to topic

[BUG FILED]Swap Ctrl+C SIGINT & Shift+Ctrl+C copy in Yakuake

User avatar sparhawk
Registered Member
OS
Hi, there's a few threads on the net about this, but nothing really conclusive. In gnome-terminal and guake, if you assign Ctrl+C to "copy", it will automatically assign "SIGINT" (i.e. kill the current process) to Ctrl+Shift+C. I find this useful because I am always interrupting processes when I intend to copy instead. I am trying to replicate these keybindings in yakuake (which I think inherits its settings from konsole).

So, I have two problems.

1) Assign Ctrl+C to "copy". According to this, yakuake inherits konsole's keyboard shortcuts, but I've tried assigning Ctrl+C to copy and it doesn't work in yakuake (as per the post here). This assignment does work somewhat in konsole; if something is selected, then "copy" works, otherwise, if nothing is selected, SIGINT is sent to the terminal. (One could then assign dummy text to Ctrl+C as per key bindings in part 2.)

2) Assign Shift+Ctrl+C to "SIGINT". I'm not sure if this (or the first step) can be done using the Edit Current Profile > Keyboard (Key Bindings) > Edit…, but I'm not really sure how to describe SIGINT or Ctrl+C, etc.

FWIW I've also seen some threads suggesting the use of stty, but it seems to me that to change it within the terminal emulator itself is a better option, as this would allow consistent usage even over ssh. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by sparhawk on Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
hindenburg
Registered Member
The signals are hard-coded in Konsole at this time - there is a bug report about this - https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=306982

I doubt Konsole will provide a way to change the SIGINT but it should understand what key the system has it assigned to.

Kurt
User avatar sparhawk
Registered Member
OS
However, it does seem that you can prevent the normal function of Ctrl+C in Konsole, by assigning that keyboard shortcut to another function. So I'm not sure how hard-coded it is?
User avatar bcooksley
Administrator
OS
By assigning Ctrl + C to another key you are creating a shortcut conflict which is resolved in favour of the shortcut you created. This would prevent usage of the Ctrl + C terminal action completely.

System Settings and Device Actions KCM maintainer
User avatar sparhawk
Registered Member
OS
Thanks for the replies. That's a bit of a pity. I might submit a feature request for this. (Do I just do this via the normal KDE bug reporter?) Thanks again.
User avatar bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Yes, feature requests can be submitted on bugs.kde.org.

System Settings and Device Actions KCM maintainer
User avatar sparhawk
Registered Member
OS
Thanks again. Feature request submitted here.

Reply to topic