Topic locked

Large size of wallpaper download and firefox crashes

thakur
Registered Member
In 4.10 RC III, I observed that "kde-wallpapers" was showing the size of 90 MB. Cant it be reduced and the same will apply to other icon and artwork files.

I was observing frequent Firefox crashes till RC II. I was not able to quantify or conclude much. Let me see how it is in RC III.
User avatar einar
Administrator
OS
Firefox is not a KDE application, so it's unclear how crashes are tied to KDE. Are you using some extensions for KDE integration?

"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent."
Plasma FAQ maintainer - Plasma programming with Python
User avatar scummos
KDE Developer
OS
If you want to ship some high-quality wallpapers for different resolutions, then that'll just have some size. Of course one could reduce the size of that package, but only be removing content from it. And if you don't want the package, nobody forces you to install it. :)

User avatar google01103
Manager
OS
you can search kde-look.org for wallpapers

forgot, in desktop settings -> get new wallpapers

OpenSuse 13.1 x64, KDE 4.12.x

Problem solved? Please click on Image below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.
thakur
Registered Member
I used to search for wallpapers but I liked the set of wallpapers bundled with the kde. I sometime download the wallpapers bundle of ubuntu and even MS. What is wrong in being aesthetic. Probably package split could be the way to do it. Is it really difficult to get information about monitor resolution and just send the bundle matching with it (If it maintained in the sorted manner). I am not sure how difficult it could be?

Regarding FIrefox crashes I have also seen a crash in RC III. I have installed plasma-desktop-addons but not applied any extension from my side. I have not observed firefox crashes in 4.9.5 in my other computer.

I was just putting feedback as is expected from somebody installing RC/beta.
User avatar scummos
KDE Developer
OS
The package is already split -- there's a seperate "wallpapers" package. Do you want to split it even further? That sounds like wasted effort to me...

thakur
Registered Member
I was wondering about the possibility of splitting 90 MB size into sets of wallpaper into resolution-wise. Probably these bundles can be offered via wallpaper-downloads as well. I do not remember seeing kde-4-10-default-wallpapers from this route.

Regarding Firefox crashes: It crashes when the application is closed. I was not allowed to shutdown when the crash took place until that feedback loop was getting completed.

Topic locked