Reply to topic

KDE rather slow to start

shalom938
Registered Member

Re: KDE rather slow to start

Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:23 am
I can confirm the same problem after clean install debian wheezy kde on a new pc with core i5. 40 seconds since i hit enter in login screen and untill I can use anything. this is my first time running kde(after gnome made me crazy for the past year) so have no idea what's going on.
shalom938
Registered Member

Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:16 pm
disabling nepomuk from startup (which I don't need anyway) resolves the problem for me. it takes about 10-15 seconds from login dialog to a usable desktop(includes amule on startup) which is good enough for me.
User avatar bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:15 am
Sorry, I thought it was another person reporting the issue.
That backtrace doesn't reveal anything unfortunately as far as I can tell - Plasma is basically sleeping and waiting for something else to happen. I'm not sure what this could be though (as kbuildsycoca4 should have been run before Plasma is started).

System Settings and Device Actions KCM maintainer
glepore70
Registered Member

Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:48 pm
Upgraded to Raring Ringtail to see if that fixed anything, and received the KDE 4.10.1 update but no luck. One interesting factoid is that if I restart KDE (with CTRL-ALT-Backspace), it restarts in about 8 seconds, or about what I would expect. Maybe this narrows down the problem a bit?
User avatar bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:28 pm
Interesting. That is definitely not a recommended way to restart KDE.
If you logout normally and then back in again I gather the startup time is "slow" as usual?

If it is, can you see if any KDE processes are hanging around after a forced logout? They may give clues as to why this is occurring.

glepore70
Registered Member

Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:00 pm
I'm not in the habit of restarting KDE via CTRL-ALT-Backspace, I was just using that as an example of a process which restarts KDE and all it's attending processes but which doesn't have the 30 second delay I see upon booting. Which would seem to narrow down the problem to the difference in the processes between starting KDE at boot and by using CTRL-ALT-Backspace.
User avatar KejPi
Registered Member
OS

Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:29 pm
It is well aligned with my measurement I posted almost 1 year ago here viewtopic.php?f=66&t=101038#p220139

KejPi, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
User avatar bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:14 am
Depending on the distribution, and how your computer starts up, KDE could be started with cold caches. As part of the startup process these caches would be regenerated. They can usually be found in /var/tmp/kdecache-$USER/.

While I am not sure which process in particular is causing this - it could easily be Plasma regenerating it's theme cache, which is usually ~80mb or so if I recall. As this also involves rendering SVG images, it may also explain the lack of disk activity during this generation process (as SVGs are CPU intensive to render), as well as why subsequent logins after first boot are much faster (because the cache has now been generated).

glepore70
Registered Member

Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:44 pm
I think we're on to something. My caches are indeed being regenerated every boot:

36864 Mar 11 17:39 http
10547304 Mar 11 17:40 icon-cache.kcache
84377704 Mar 11 17:39 plasma_theme_Atelier.kcache

I'm on Kubuntu. So is it possible to stop this, or is it a bug, or what?

I'm very happy we're making progress, thanks for the help!
User avatar bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:02 am
Can you check to see if /var/tmp is being cleared on startup/shutdown, or if it is based off a temporary file system?
I can't think of any reason why KDE would randomly be regenerating the cache.

glepore70
Registered Member

Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:43 pm
/var/tmp is not being cleared out at each boot, as there are files dating back several years in there. As for the file system, everything on my disk is ext4, no ram disks or anything unusual.
User avatar bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:15 am
Weird... does an immediate logout, reboot and log back in reproduce the regeneration of the cache file?
It could possibly be that there is a bug here which is somehow triggering the unnecessary regeneration of the cache file (making it redundant in effect).

glepore70
Registered Member

Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:56 am
Yes, it appears logout, reboot, login does regenerate the caching of the theme and icon files only (the three files I listed earlier) every time. Is there a way to force the regeneration to not occur so I can test the delay?
User avatar scummos
KDE Developer
OS

Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:28 pm
You could maybe remove the write permission bits from the files, not sure if that'd help tough.

glepore70
Registered Member

Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:29 pm
I tried that, they were still generated and overwritten...

Reply to topic