Reply to topic

KDM crashing just after login

marshallpierce
Registered Member

KDM crashing just after login

Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:10 am
I'm having a problem with KDM: just after I type my password and hit enter, the screen goes black for a second and then the login screen returns. Xorg.0.log has no errors in it; it reports simply that it exits OK. kdm.log also has nothing really in it (though I've included --debug 399 output below). I'm not sure what changed from the last time I used KDM; I've been logged in for months and applied several system updates in that time.

I'm on KDE 4.10.5 on a stable gentoo system. Running 'xinit /usr/bin/startkde' gets me to a kde desktop just fine, FWIW. It's only kdm that seems to be broken. I've reinstalled kdm and ran revdep-rebuild (which didn't find anything) to no avail.

Log output: http://pastebin.com/w9piKTpT
User avatar einar
Administrator
OS

Re: KDM crashing just after login

Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:47 am
Is your desktop session in KDM set to "previously used"? If so, try changing it to "KDE Plasma Workspace".

"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent."
Plasma FAQ maintainer - Plasma programming with Python
marshallpierce
Registered Member

Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:15 pm
Neither "KDE Plasma Workspace" nor the failsafe equivalent produces different results. :( Even selecting TWM fails the same way.
User avatar bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:33 am
After attempting a normal login, is anything of relevance output to ~/.xsession-errors?

System Settings and Device Actions KCM maintainer
marshallpierce
Registered Member

Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:02 pm
I get literally this string (I did not ellipsize):

/usr/share/config/kdm/Xsession:59: bad math expression: operand expected at `/etc/X11/x...'
marshallpierce
Registered Member

Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:08 pm
Line 59 mentioned above is the for loop here:

Code: Select all
# run all system xinitrc shell scripts.
if [ -d /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d ]; then
    for i in /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/* ; do
        if [ -x "$i" ]; then
            . "$i"
        fi
    done
fi

That shell code looks reasonable to me. Just in case it's misreporting some error from sourcing the xinitrc.d files, I've tried -x'ing all of the files in /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/ with no change.
marshallpierce
Registered Member

Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:51 am
So, it turns out that this:

Code: Select all
 bad math expression: operand expected

is a zsh error message. Why would my xsession stuff be executing with zsh (my user's shell) instead of bash? Is this something that could be fixed by going from 4.10 to 4.11?
marshallpierce
Registered Member

Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:06 am
Looks like this bug might be related: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=322505
marshallpierce
Registered Member

Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:52 pm
The ubuntu folks found the problem too: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... +bug/13965
User avatar bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:33 am
KDE does not provide the /etc/kde4/kdm/Xsession file, it must come from your distribution.
I would recommend adding "#!/bin/bash" to the top of that file (which should hopefully force the use of bash)

marshallpierce
Registered Member

Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:19 pm
The file already has the #! /bin/sh shebang, so it must be being sourced by some other script, not executed. I'll look into how my distro (gentoo) packages it.
User avatar bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:09 am
In many distributions (no idea about Gentoo) /bin/sh is not bash, but another shell such as dash - so this may be worth checking.

marshallpierce
Registered Member

Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:44 am
It's bash on Gentoo.

Reply to topic