Reply to topic

System tray doesn't show some icons.

zeratul
Registered Member
OS

System tray doesn't show some icons.

Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:32 am
Hi all,

during last power outage my system tray became corrupted. It shows some KDE icons alright (Devices, Klipper, Updates, Volume) but it doesn't accept/show icons from programs liek Opera, Thunderbird, JDownloader.

Is there a file which could get corrupted or where should I start looking to investigate this, maybe reset that file altogether. I tried to clean kde cache in /var/tmp and it didn't help.

KDE 4.5.5, Kubuntu 10.10

Regards,

Marek
User avatar bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Are you sure they haven't been hidden in the Hidden Icons section? (which is the right most icon of the system tray)

System Settings and Device Actions KCM maintainer
User avatar toad
Global Moderator
OS
Plus you may want to check your systray settings (right click in an empty systray area and check Display and Entries settings for the progs you mentioned.

Sid
zeratul
Registered Member
OS
Hi,

no they are not hidden they don't seem to register there. In display and entries menu I can't see them and some things like messaging are there multiple times. What I am looking for is some sort of rc file. It happened to me before with favorites in KMenu (they weren§t saved on system reboot - corrupted file), I just deleted it and let KDE make new default file and everything went back to normal.

As I said, it happened during power outage. I'm gonna try to upgrade to natty to see if it helps.

Regards
User avatar bcooksley
Administrator
OS
The correct rc files in this case are "plasmarc", "plasma-desktoprc" and "plasma-desktop-appletsrc"

System Settings and Device Actions KCM maintainer
zeratul
Registered Member
OS
Hi,

thanks for pointers, those first two hold very few information in my case but deleting the last one and rebooting solved my problem. Now every icon I expect to be there is there.

Thanks guys,

Regards,

Marek

Reply to topic