The Discussions and Opinions forum is a place for open discussion regarding everything related to KDE, within the boundaries of KDE Code of Conduct. If you have a question or need a solution for a KDE problem, please post in the apppropriate forum instead.
Reply to topic

Kuickshow and Kview

User avatar Joseppi
Registered Member
OS

Kuickshow and Kview

Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:20 am
Why are Kuickshow and Kview not in the Synaptic repository?
Both of these were excellent, efficient, convenient programs/applications that I used daily on my previous Linux systems (Mandriva and PCLinuxOS), but since I've installed Kubuntu and Linux Mint, I can't find either Kview or Kuickshow to install. I don't like Gwenview. (And where did that clutzy name Gwenview come from anyway?)
User avatar google01103
Manager
OS

Re: Kuickshow and Kview

Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:58 am
1) neither is a part of KDE SC
2) Kuickshow is based on imlib which is no longer shipped with most distros and it does not work with imlib2
3) Packaging is a distro responsibility, you should ask/request them
4) see if Showimage is in the repos, it's pretty much a clone of Kuickshow http://kde-apps.org/content/show.php/Sh ... ent=143977

OpenSuse 13.1 x64, KDE 4.12.x

Problem solved? Please click on Image below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.
User avatar Joseppi
Registered Member
OS

Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:40 pm
Thanks for responding.
What would you suggest as the best (least cluttered/most efficient) alternative?
When I type 'gwenview' at the command line, it shows a whole bunch of error messages (as shown below) and opens a window filled with clutter that I do not want.

"/usr/bin/gwenview(10072)" Soprano: "org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown - The name org.kde.nepomuk.services.nepomukstorage was not provided by any .service files"
"/usr/bin/gwenview(10072)" Soprano: "QLocalSocket::connectToServer: Invalid name"
"/usr/bin/gwenview(10072)" Soprano: "org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown - The name org.kde.nepomuk.services.nepomukstorage was not provided by any .service files"
"/usr/bin/gwenview(10072)" Soprano: "QLocalSocket::connectToServer: Invalid name"
QInotifyFileSystemWatcherEngine::addPaths: inotify_add_watch failed: No such file or directory
QFileSystemWatcher: failed to add paths: /home/joe/.config/ibus/bus
gwenview(10072)/kdeui (kdelibs): Attempt to use QAction "edit_redo" with KXMLGUIFactory!
gwenview(10072)/kdeui (kdelibs): Attempt to use QAction "edit_undo" with KXMLGUIFactory!
gwenview(10072) Gwenview::MainWindow::Private::sideBarConfigGroupName: Should not happen!
User avatar google01103
Manager
OS

Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:57 pm
not sure about the messages, as I don't experience but a few of them, but most seem Nepomuk related - is it installed? enabled?

I dl'ed and compiled Showimage & Kuickshow. You can request your disto(s) to add them to their repos

I'm not sure what your requirements are but there are non-KDE image viewers available and Dolphin does display image previews in the information panel

What do you define as clutter in your Gwenview window?

maybe you should start a new thread "Looking for an image viewer app that does ............................"

Problem solved? Please click on Image below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.
lumiwa
Registered Member
OS

Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:01 am
I like Showimage but with KDE 4.9.5 doesn't work correct on my system. It show picture but there are no options for size of picture, zoom...
If I click on the picture it closed...

Are there any other KDE fast image viewer, please? I don't use Gwenview because I prefer Geeqie.
User avatar google01103
Manager
OS

Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:18 am
luniwa - if you right click the image there should be options? did you compile it or was it installed from a package?

lumiwa
Registered Member
OS

Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:18 am
google01103 wrote:luniwa - if you right click the image there should be options? did you compile it or was it installed from a package?

If I right click on image there are no options. Showimage closed same as if I click on the image. After installation of KDE 4.9.5 I recompile Showimage. I use clang but I recompile with gcc too and it is the same.
User avatar bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:10 pm
@Joseppi: Please provide a screenshot and point out the 'clutter' which you are referring to.

System Settings and Device Actions KCM maintainer

Reply to topic