User avatar arkara
Registered Member
OS

quanta plus, from kde 3 to kde 4

Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:22 am
I use debian lenny and i currently have kde 3.5.10
is quanta plus ported to kde 4?
if not will it be replaced?

arkara, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
User avatar neverendingo
Administrator
OS

RE: quanta plus, from kde 3 to kde 4

Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:59 am
Till now the port isn't finished, and it is unsure when it is ready. It has a serious lack of developers.

New to KDE Software? - get help from Userbase or ask questions on the Forums
Communicate.
User avatar papapenguin
Registered Member
OS
neverendingo wrote:Till now the port isn't finished, and it is unsure when it is ready. It has a serious lack of developers.

Is there any work around for those who made the switch to KDE 4?
User avatar bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:24 am
You would need to contact its developers directly for this information. They probably having a mailing list to this effect.

System Settings and Device Actions KCM maintainer
User avatar neverendingo
Administrator
OS
Lastly i have tried Quanta from trunk was maybe one month ago, and it was a less feature rich KDevelop4 version (Quanta uses the same framework).
As a workaround i still use Quanta from KDE3, though i don't know if Gentoo provides that. You could also try Kate, not as good as Quanta, but worth a try. Or KDevelop itself.

The devel mailing list is quanta-devel@kde.org.

Communicate.
JavierBere
Registered Member
Quanta development is currently heavily crippled by lack of developers. There are however a ferw people working on the port. It won't be ready fo a while if they don't find more developers though, as the Qt4 and KDE4 ports are a rather extensive undertaking.
User avatar gabriel9
Registered Member
OS
Is there any progress on this? I saw some thing on kdevelop page but i did not understand it... Some hints are welcome.
User avatar zakonnik
Registered Member
OS
Quanta works with qt4 and lack of qt3. I've compiled it under KDE 4.2.69 and QT 4.5. I found only two problems with it:
1. When I try to use "replace" feature it takes some space in bottom of page covering few last lines of code. You need to restart quanta to see the code again.
2. It craches from time to time, but not very often.

Anyway quanta was the app that was keepin' me from migrate to kde 4 ;]
If you want it to work first you need to compile kdevplatform and then compile kdewebdev. If you don't want kimagemap and few other apps from kdewebdev just edit CMakeLists.txt and delete
Code: Select all
add_subdirectory(app_you_dont_want_to_compile)

Last edited by zakonnik on Sun May 03, 2009 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HP Pavilion dv9680
Slackware64-current | kernel 2.6.32 | kde 4.4beta2 | QT 4.6 | opera 10.10
User avatar gabriel9
Registered Member
OS
I use Arch, and when i install quanta plus none of the plugins don't work, but they are installed. I still wish to use Quanta it but its pretty useless without them.
xoxo_davide
Registered Member
Please, please, please... intensive use of quanta plus here, i know at least a dozen of developers bound to kde 3.5 because of quanta plus.
Quanta plus has unique features and is underestimated from a lot of web developers that stick on their phpish web sites. But when it comes to professionals web programmers on unix platforms, well, even with all its bugs, things are quite different and quanta is kind of unreplaceable.
I'm agree with who asks to drop some developers from other less professional-targets projects and put it into quanta devel.

sigh.
User avatar RGB
Registered Member
OS
xoxo_davide wrote:I'm agree with who asks to drop some developers from other less professional-targets projects and put it into quanta devel.

And how do you think it is possible to accomplish this? With a knife in their throat?
Please, please, PLEASE!!!! you must understand how free software works: developers do their work in their free time, just for fun, and work in projects of their like. If you say to them: "do not work in this project which gives you a lot of fun, work in that boring but needed project instead" they probably close their computers and went with their families to do something more interesting with their weekends.
Remember that developers are, first of all, human beings. Just like you and me.

RGB, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Nov.
And proud to be a kde user since 1.1.2
User avatar gabriel9
Registered Member
OS

Sun May 24, 2009 11:07 am
@RGB I agree with you.
I think when developers finish Kdevelop then they are gone to work on Quanta4. I hope so...
I shouldn't learn Java, C++ is next...

:-)
The KDevelop Developer Meeting 2009 is a gathering of KDevelop developers intended to finalize KDevelop 4 before release and push Quanta 4 forward. You can read more about it in the wiki.

Source is:
http://www.kdevelop.org/

Last edited by gabriel9 on Sun May 24, 2009 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
fraxinus
Registered Member
OS
A long-time KDE 3.x user (and KDE lover), I am starting to plan for an eventual move to KDE 4. My main anxiety concerns Quanta Plus. Does anyone have any information as to if and/or when this might be ported to KDE 4? Or can any fellow KDE/Linux user suggest an alternative application?

I do hope that Quanta Plus eventually finds its way into the 'new' KDE. It is one of KDE's crown jewels, in my opinion!
User avatar Landis
Banned
OS
what's wrong with using Quanta plus KDE 3 in your KDE 4???
i do it every day.
untill today (it crashed, but was probably do to one of 2 ftp connections timing out).

i love Quanta Plus...
what is this Dev4, i still haven't found it.
if it's konqueror 4 for get it. it sucks.

LandisReed.
User avatar neverendingo
Administrator
OS
Dev4 is actually the kdevplatform, the base for KDevelop and Quanta in KDE4. KDevelop4 is coming along nicely, whereas Quanta still needs some time.

Communicate.

Reply to topic