Reply to topic

Accidentally deleted main taskbar, no way to access mixer?

mmmmna
Registered Member
I am new to KDE 4.X, and am using Plasma Desktop and pulseaudio. Being new, I began exploring the configuration method for the taskbar. Along the way, I noticed a graphic of a yellow apostrophe near the top of the page, and I had no knowledge of where it came from. I right clicked it, the menu offered to delete this taskbar. Ok, I don't need, and do I want a task bar up there. Delete it.

And then I see that my main taskbar is gone. I was not aware that the icon applied to the main taskbar, and the two were over 2/3rds of the screen apart. Maybe I moved it and forgot, I do not know, so I'll say this is my mistake.

So now I'm trying to reassemble the items I want to see in the (recreated) taskbar. I need a mixer. I've tried adding the KMix widget, but despite many attempts to install it, the best I can do is get the icon into the taskbar, and the icon will launch something that produces a new "application" segment in the taskbar, but that segment disappears after a few moments and even when it is still present, clicking it produces nothing. Sound works fine for everything I've used since deleting the taskbar, settings were made before I deleted the taskbar.

I open a Konsole and execute KMix, the bash prompt returns after only a second. I open a different Konsole, run top, and KMix is showing as running. I once more click the KMix icon, same pattern.

I believe that I probably have to configure KMix, but I can't 'right click to get to a configure option' on either displayed element, and KMix is not found in the KDE help center.

Or maybe I need to install a different mixer, but I have no idea how to create the necessary widget.

Just one good clue is all I ask, lol!
User avatar bcooksley
Administrator
OS
You may need to add the "System Tray" widget.

System Settings and Device Actions KCM maintainer
mmmmna
Registered Member
That was it, thanks!
Solved.

Reply to topic