Reply to topic

Not able to change date and time in systemsettings

jan
Registered Member
Hi!

I have a problem changing date & time in systemsettings with my normal unprivileged user account.
If I open the "Date & time" configuration interface I can change the timezone for example and clicking apply works fine. The problem occurs when I click on the button "Overview" to get back to the main configuration Interface, the following error message shows up:
Unable to authenticate/execute the action: 4,

Here is a screenshot: http://dev.codejunky.org/kde-problem1.jpeg

My KDE version is 4.4.4

Any help appreciated!

Kind regards,
Jan
User avatar Hans
Administrator
OS
Are you sure you clicked on Apply? In your screenshot System Settings shows [modified], which indicates that the changes haven't bee applied.

On my system (KDEMod 4.4.4) I get a password dialog when pressing Apply, but I don't know if it's a KDEMod thing. Which distribution do you use?

Problem solved? Please click on "Accept this answer" below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.

10 things you might want to do in KDE | Open menu with Super key | Mouse shortcuts
jan
Registered Member
Hans wrote:Are you sure you clicked on Apply? In your screenshot System Settings shows [modified], which indicates that the changes haven't bee applied. On my system (KDEMod 4.4.4) I get a password dialog when pressing Apply, but I don't know if it's a KDEMod thing.

Yes, I clicked on apply but no password dialog showed up.

Hans wrote: Which distribution do you use?

I use Exherbo (http://www.exherbo.org). Maybe the problem is distribution specific, and I need to contact the kde maintainers.

Regards,
Jan
User avatar google01103
Manager
OS
I can confirm problem (under openSuse) but my error msg is "Unable to authenticate/execute the action: 3," not"4" as op.

Also, same error if run as root

OpenSuse 13.1 x64, KDE 4.12.x

Problem solved? Please click on Image below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.
User avatar google01103
Manager
OS

Problem solved? Please click on Image below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.
User avatar Hans
Administrator
OS
I tried it on my trunk install and could reproduce it (but got 2 instead of 3 or 4). Good that you reported it google01103.

Problem solved? Please click on "Accept this answer" below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.

10 things you might want to do in KDE | Open menu with Super key | Mouse shortcuts
jan
Registered Member
Thanks for reporting, lets see what will happen. :-)
unclechromedome
Registered Member
OS
I solved the problem as follows:

(1) Edit /etc/kde4/kdm/kdmrc and change the line AllowRootLogin=false to AllowRootLogin=true
Reboot.

(2) Install ntpdate from a debian repository (so that the system can contact the time server).

I hope this helps.
rezahk
Registered Member
OS
I also had the same problem but I've found the answer to this problem

The main problem is the configuration of rc.conf that available in the following path:
/etc/rc.conf

dbus should add on the list of daemons

Code: Select all
DAEMONS=( dbus network @syslog-ng netfs @crond kdm )

I hope this helps.
User avatar google01103
Manager
OS
rezahk wrote:I also had the same problem but I've found the answer to this problem

The main problem is the configuration of rc.conf that available in the following path:
/etc/rc.conf

dbus should add on the list of daemons

Code: Select all
DAEMONS=( dbus network @syslog-ng netfs @crond kdm )

I hope this helps.

I think this is Arch specific, I for one don't have /etc/rc.conf

Reply to topic