Reply to topic

Network Error when trying to download themes

User avatar elav
Registered Member
Posts
16
Karma
0
OS
Network Error (1) when trying to download themes :'(

Greetings. I'm new to KDE and I really liked. I'm using Debian Testing with KDE 4.6 and all works well except me 2 things:

- I can not use knetwork-manager and therefore use wicd
- When I try to download a desktop theme for a wallpaper or theme for kwin, gives me Network Error (3) or Network Error (1) depending on whether.

Attached is a picture to see what I mean.

Image
User avatar google01103
Manager
Posts
4970
Karma
17
OS
network:
- what versions of NetworkManager and NetworkManager-kde4-libs are you using?
- are you wired or wireless?
- there's a log file /var/log/NetworkManager (may need root access), should not post the whole thing maybe just the end showing the last attempts to connect. Please use pastebin http://www.pastebin.com for the listing.

themes:
- do you have a proxy set in systemsettings
- can you dl decorations? cursor themes?


OpenSuse 13.1 x64, KDE 4.12.x

Problem solved? Please click on Image below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.
User avatar elav
Registered Member
Posts
16
Karma
0
OS
google01103 wrote:network:
- what versions of NetworkManager and NetworkManager-kde4-libs are you using?
- are you wired or wireless?
- there's a log file /var/log/NetworkManager (may need root access), should not post the whole thing maybe just the end showing the last attempts to connect. Please use pastebin http://www.pastebin.com for the listing.

themes:
- do you have a proxy set in systemsettings
- can you dl decorations? cursor themes?


Well, thanks for your reply.

Answering your questions:
I have no access to pastebin, so I leave the error in an alternate link. Sorry, but my ISP does not allow me access to many websites.

network-manager 0.9.0-2
network-manager-kde 1:0.9+git20111002.90c59c3-1

But do not use Network Manager, I use Wicd. And I have configured the proxy correctly. In fact, I am connected now. I use wired.

And I can not get anything from the Internet using System Preferences. I can not get themes, or cursors, and wallpapers, nothing.

I have to install Network Manager?

Thanks
User avatar google01103
Manager
Posts
4970
Karma
17
OS
you do not have to install Network Manager, you can use wicd or networkmanager but you had stated "I can not use knetwork-manager and therefore use wicd" so I though looking at the log file may help resolve that issue

maybe your isp is blocking the themes, cursors, wallpapers download app, maybe you should ask your isp

you can find and download themes and the others from http://kde-look.org, you may need to Google on how to install them but I think for themes you uncompress the file and then place it in ~/.kde/share/apps/desktoptheme/ and when you run systemsettings it should show


OpenSuse 13.1 x64, KDE 4.12.x

Problem solved? Please click on Image below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.
User avatar elav
Registered Member
Posts
16
Karma
0
OS
I'm sure my ISP is not blocking it, because a friend next to me use KDE with Arch, with the same proxy and the same internet connection, and if you can get the items.

Checking proxy logs, I see the list of topics attempts to obtain this address: http://download.kde.org/ocs/providers.xml

With my browser (iceweasel or konqueror) I can enter that url without problems, so I guess it's something with the network and system preferences.
lamarque
Registered Member
Posts
151
Karma
2
OS
If GetHotNewStuff uses kded's networkstatus module to detect if you are online or not then you have to use kde-runtime 4.7.2 for networkstatus to work with wicd.

You can force networkstatus to signal the computer is online using this command line:

qdbus org.kde.kded /modules/networkstatus org.kde.Solid.Networking.setNetworkStatus Solid 4

That command must be executed everytime you reload the networkstatus module (that happens when restarting kded4).


Software engineer at Petrobrás http://www.petrobras.com.br/en/about-us/
KDE's Network Management maintainer
cami
Registered Member
Posts
12
Karma
0
OS
While this works, it's not a real solution. How do I get KDE/qt to properly detect online status? I would even be happy if I could set it to "always online" somehow, although I would prefer it to detect "eth0 up and configured".
User avatar bcooksley
Administrator
Posts
18688
Karma
83
OS
It depends on how you connect to the internet. If you use NetworkManager - it will just work. Otherwise, try installing NTrack and QNTrack and rebuilding the relevant parts of KDE (KDE Workspace I think) - which should provide read-only basic information on the connectivity of your system based on the actual status of interfaces.


System Settings and Device Actions KCM maintainer
Image
lamarque
Registered Member
Posts
151
Karma
2
OS
bcooksley wrote:It depends on how you connect to the internet. If you use NetworkManager - it will just work. Otherwise, try installing NTrack and QNTrack and rebuilding the relevant parts of KDE (KDE Workspace I think) - which should provide read-only basic information on the connectivity of your system based on the actual status of interfaces.


It's kde-runtime that needs to be recompiled against QNTrack. Please use NTrack >= 0.15 or you will end up with kded consuming 100% CPU time bug: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=268038

Cami, kded's networkstatus should work with both NetworkManager and Wicd as long as you use kde-runtime >= 0.7.2. For other network manager software (ifplugd, ifup/ifdown, ifconfig, etc) you must use NTrack. In the message before your last post I wrote how to force the system to online state, just use that command everytime you log in, although I still prefer to fix any remaining problems in networkstatus if it does not work with kde-runtime >= 0.7.2.


Software engineer at Petrobrás http://www.petrobras.com.br/en/about-us/
KDE's Network Management maintainer
User avatar elav
Registered Member
Posts
16
Karma
0
OS
Uppss. I'm sorry, and I forgot to mark the thread as solved. The problem is now resolved, is that the network was managing the file /etc/network/interface and not by Network Manager...
cami
Registered Member
Posts
12
Karma
0
OS
Sorry, but

- My distribution (gentoo) doesn't offer a way to compile solid with ntrack support (also solid+ntrack seems to suffer from bugs)
- I need openrc to set up the interfaces, and openrc+networkmanager integration seems broken (in particular it messes up interface names)
- I cannot tell networkmanager to leave the interfaces alone either, as then it reports them as offline
- forcing the status using dbus calls doesn't work (status() == 0 after setStatus(4))
- even if it would work, it wouldn't help, because the status would still be "offline" for a short while, e.g. causing akonadi resources to switch offline as well

Still very unhappy with the current state of solid-network as of KDE 4.8.1. I'm not sure about other countries but in Germany desktop systems usually have a permanent connection to the internet. It's so incredibly easy to add a stub backend that hardcodes "always online", a manual switch or something comparibly simple and failsafe. Please consider supporting it, at least until the more sophisticated methods work reliably in 99.999% of the cases. Also, please consider making the network backend configurable instead of compiled-in, as recompiling solid just because you switched your network management software seems odd.
User avatar bcooksley
Administrator
Posts
18688
Karma
83
OS
NTrack is supposed to provide this "hardcoded" functionality in a not so hardcoded fashion as far as I am aware.


System Settings and Device Actions KCM maintainer
Image
lamarque
Registered Member
Posts
151
Karma
2
OS
cami wrote:Sorry, but

- My distribution (gentoo) doesn't offer a way to compile solid with ntrack support (also solid+ntrack seems to suffer from bugs)

ntrack is not needed for NetworkManager and Wicd. Solid implements its own backends for those two.

cami wrote:- I need openrc to set up the interfaces, and openrc+networkmanager integration seems broken (in particular it messes up interface names)

I also use Gentoo. Gentoo developers tried to fix one specific bug and deliberately broke NetworkManager service by marking it inactive when it should not be:
http://sources.gentoo.org/cgi-bin/viewv ... notate=1.1
https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=402613

Most distributions, including Gentoo, use udev to fix interface names to MAC addresses. You should not have this kind of problems these days.

cami wrote:- I cannot tell networkmanager to leave the interfaces alone either, as then it reports them as offline


You can force NetworkManager to igore interfaces using this: http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/NetworkM ... re_Devices

But then if you do not have any other program to activate the interface you will be offline.

cami wrote:- forcing the status using dbus calls doesn't work (status() == 0 after setStatus(4))


Which dbus call are you using? Are you sure it is correct.

cami wrote:- even if it would work, it wouldn't help, because the status would still be "offline" for a short while, e.g. causing akonadi resources to switch offline as well

Still very unhappy with the current state of solid-network as of KDE 4.8.1. I'm not sure about other countries but in Germany desktop systems usually have a permanent connection to the internet. It's so incredibly easy to add a stub backend that hardcodes "always online", a manual switch or something comparibly simple and failsafe. Please consider supporting it, at least until the more sophisticated methods work reliably in 99.999% of the cases. Also, please consider making the network backend configurable instead of compiled-in, as recompiling solid just because you switched your network management software seems odd.


I rarely have problems with networkstatus when using NetworkManager *without* ntrack. Most of the problems I have seen about this topic are upstream (ntrack) or downstream bugs (the openrc+networkmanager and not compiling networkstatus' NetworkManager bakend is another one).


Software engineer at Petrobrás http://www.petrobras.com.br/en/about-us/
KDE's Network Management maintainer
cami
Registered Member
Posts
12
Karma
0
OS
I guess I have no choice but giving NetworkManager another try, then. But why does solid require networkmanager (or wicd) at all, just for detecting online status properly? If there is a route to "anywhere" via an interface that is up, solid should realize you're online IMHO. No need of fancy software for that.

Ignoring interfaces: I know how it works, but it's the same as not using networkmanager at all: solid aways thinks its offline.

Interface name mess-up: I'm using both udev conf and (as a fallback) modprobe.d for assigning interface names. It works fine, just networkmanager doesnt get it, and confuses the interfaces. They still have the correct names in the kernel (as shown by ifconfig, for instance), networkmanager only uses the eth0 conf for eth1 or vice versa, ignoring the other interface entirely. I might file a bug there, still, I'd much prefer not using it at all, it creates problems and solves none (for me).

Then I'd be offline: Fortunately not. Gentoo has init scripts for managing interfaces, integrating well with services start and shutdown. I've been using this setup for years. I'd prefer much to not have another application mess with it.

D-Bus call: as posted in a related thread:
Code: Select all
$ qdbus org.kde.kded /modules/networkstatus org.kde.Solid.Networking.setNetworkStatus Solid 4
$ qdbus org.kde.kded /modules/networkstatus org.kde.Solid.Networking.status
0
lamarque
Registered Member
Posts
151
Karma
2
OS
Solid is a hardware abstraction layer, we use the backends that exists in the operating system KDE software run on (KDE software is not restricted to Linux). Solid/networkstatus can use Ntrack to receive network events from the Linux kernel and therefor it would not need NetworkManager. However, we sometimes are hit by Ntrack's bugs that cause too many problems for KDE users, so I am not going to remove the NetworkManager or Wicd backends any soon. Besides, most KDE users already use NetworkManager or Wicd to connect to the Internet, I do not see a problem in also using them for detecting online/offline status.

About the interface name problem: it looks like you or something configured the "Restrict to Interface" option in your connections.

Gentoo's NetworkManager startup script does not work well for me, so I disabled that "inactive" configuration for NetworkManager in my notebook.

You should use "SolidNetwork" in your dbus command not "Solid". The correct dbus command is:

qdbus org.kde.kded /modules/networkstatus org.kde.Solid.Networking.setNetworkStatus SolidNetwork 4


Software engineer at Petrobrás http://www.petrobras.com.br/en/about-us/
KDE's Network Management maintainer

 
Reply to topic

Bookmarks



Who is online

Registered users: Baidu [Spider], bcooksley, Bing [Bot], claydoh, Deusdies, Exabot [Bot], garthecho, Google [Bot], Hans, jpwhiting, La Ninje, Majestic-12 [Bot], Mamarok, MetaNova, MSN [Bot], rossdv8, Uri_Herrera, Yahoo [Bot]