Reply to topic

How to Clear System Tray Crash Notifications?

User avatar stewartmm
Registered Member
OS
Greetings All,

I'm using (K)Ubuntu 11.10, and have backported KDE 4.8 via ppa. It's running nicely, except that whenever I insert a USB flash drive it causes a Plasma crash. I have added my experience to a current bug report at KDE bugs.

The crash is not fatal, insofar as Plasma restarts immediately. However, I am left with all these crash notifications taking up space on the bottom panel (sans icon) in the System Tray. I'd attach an image if the forums allowed direct insertion.

I don't see any way to remove or clear them save by logging out and logging back in. Well, I can try removing the system tray from the panel and then restoring it, which clears them, but then I am left with a *huge* long system tray which takes up a lot of space and I can't seem to resize.

Any ideas?

StewartM
User avatar stewartmm
Registered Member
OS
I misspoke. Removing the System Tray and then restoring it doesn't remove the crash notifications, it creates replicates and unhides them, which is why (sans icons) I got such a long system tray down in the bottom panel.

Here's what is listed in the System Tray entries:

http://s211.photobucket.com/albums/bb262/netnguy01/Linux%20Support/?action=view&current=SystemTraySettingsAfterCrash2.png

StewartM
User avatar google01103
Manager
OS
never have seen this, in system tray settings -> display -> extra items -> do you have "notifications" checked ?

OpenSuse 13.1 x64, KDE 4.12.x

Problem solved? Please click on Image below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.
User avatar stewartmm
Registered Member
OS
google01103 wrote:never have seen this, in system tray settings -> display -> extra items -> do you have "notifications" checked ?

Yes. However, checking it off does not remove the crash entries. It has no effect on them. Neither does clicking off "Message Indicator".

-StewartM
User avatar google01103
Manager
OS
do you have the notification icon showing in the tray?Image

OpenSuse 13.1 x64, KDE 4.12.x

Problem solved? Please click on Image below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.
User avatar stewartmm
Registered Member
OS
Yes, I do. (But isn't this the very thing I clicked off that had no effect?)

One thing I have thought of doing to avoid both the crashes and the crash notifications would be when inserting a USB drive *not* to respond to the device notifier message ("Open with Dolphin?" Open with Gwenview?"). Perhaps I should click Device Notifier off for that reason.

The sequence of the crash (which is very repeatable) is this:

1) I insert USB drive;

2) Device Notifier tells me that I have and offers to open it with either Dolphin or Gwenview;

3) I tell it "Dolphin" and then I get the crash, with the subsequent notifications.

Maybe, just maybe, if I turn Device Notifier off and simply mounted the USB directly via Dolphin I'd avoid both.

(I'm at home now updating a friend's non-KDE computer; when I get back to the office I'll do that or anything else you recommend).

StewartM
User avatar bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Can you please provide a screenshot of these System Tray crash notifications? Last I checked Crash assistant dialogs would appear in the Task Manager instead.

System Settings and Device Actions KCM maintainer
User avatar stewartmm
Registered Member
OS
bcooksley wrote:Can you please provide a screenshot of these System Tray crash notifications? Last I checked Crash assistant dialogs would appear in the Task Manager instead.

If I'm understanding you aright, I did--in post #2 of this thread (the link to a Photobucket picture).

If I'm not understanding you correctly, please tell me what you need.

-StewartM
User avatar bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Hm, it seems I did not notice that screenshot when I initially read the thread for some reason. That is highly unusual, and almost looks like an actual application (like an update notifier, or something similar) is somehow freezing up.

Next time you get this to happen, look at the entries being shown - one in your screenshot is ":1.2/org/kde/..." for instance. Take the first part - :1.2 in this instance - and run the following command (substituting the :1.2 for what you have)

Code: Select all
qdbus :1.2

And paste the output of that here. From that it should be possible to identify the application which is responsible... assuming it responds.

User avatar stewartmm
Registered Member
OS
bcooksley wrote:Hm, it seems I did not notice that screenshot when I initially read the thread for some reason. That is highly unusual, and almost looks like an actual application (like an update notifier, or something similar) is somehow freezing up.

Next time you get this to happen, look at the entries being shown - one in your screenshot is ":1.2/org/kde/..." for instance. Take the first part - :1.2 in this instance - and run the following command (substituting the :1.2 for what you have)

qdbus :1.2

And paste the output of that here. From that it should be possible to identify the application which is responsible... assuming it responds.

I hope I'm doing this right; I'm doing this for each entry.

net@stimpy-laptop:~$ qdbus :1.2
/
/KBookmarkManager
/KBookmarkManager/kfilePlaces
/KDebug
/KIO
/KIO/Scheduler
/Layouts
/MainApplication
/Mixers
/Mixers/0
/Mixers/0/alsa_output_pci_0000_00_1b_0_analog_stereo
/Mixers/1
/Mixers/1/alsa_input_pci_0000_00_1b_0_analog_stereo
/Mixers/2
/Mixers/2/restore_sink_input_by_media_role_event
/Mixers/3
/MuonNotifier
/NotificationHelper
/StatusNotifierWatcher
/kbuildsycoca
/kded
/modules
/modules/StatusNotifierWatcher
/modules/bluedevil
/modules/device_automounter
/modules/dnssdwatcher
/modules/favicons
/modules/freespacenotifier
/modules/kcookiejar
/modules/keyboard
/modules/khotkeys
/modules/kmixd
/modules/ktimezoned
/modules/kwrited
/modules/nepomuksearchmodule
/modules/networkmanagement
/modules/networkstatus
/modules/notificationhelper
/modules/obexftpdaemon
/modules/powerdevil
/modules/randrmonitor
/modules/remotedirnotify
/modules/solidautoeject
/modules/soliduiserver
/modules/statusnotifierwatcher
/org
/org/freedesktop
/org/freedesktop/PowerManagement
/org/freedesktop/PowerManagement/Inhibit
/org/kde
/org/kde/Solid
/org/kde/Solid/PowerManagement
/org/kde/Solid/PowerManagement/PolicyAgent
/org/kde/networkmanagement
/org/kde/networkmanagement/Activatable
/org/kde/networkmanagement/Activatable/1
/org/kde/networkmanagement/Activatable/2
/org/kde/networkmanagement/Activatable/3
/org/kde/networkmanagement/Activatable/4
/org/kde/networkmanagement/Activatable/5
/org/kde/statusnotifieritem
/org/kde/statusnotifieritem/1
/org/kubuntu
/org/kubuntu/restrictedInstall

net@stimpy-laptop:~$ qdbus :1.100
/
/KDebug
/MainApplication
/org
/org/kde
/printer_applet
/printer_applet/MainWindow
/printer_applet/MainWindow/actions
/printer_applet/MainWindow/actions/file_close
/printer_applet/MainWindow/actions/refresh

net@stimpy-laptop:~$ qdbus :1.72
/
/KDebug
/MainApplication
/ac
/org
/org/kde
net@stimpy-laptop:~$

net@stimpy-laptop:~$ qdbus :1.77
/
/Actions
/KDebug
/MainApplication
/org
/org/kde

net@stimpy-laptop:~$ qdbus :1.84
/
/KDebug
/MainApplication
/klipper
/org
/org/kde

net@stimpy-laptop:~$ qdbus :1.91
/
/KDebug
/MainApplication
/Mixers
/Mixers/0
/Mixers/0/alsa_output_pci_0000_00_1b_0_analog_stereo
/Mixers/1
/Mixers/1/alsa_input_pci_0000_00_1b_0_analog_stereo
/Mixers/2
/Mixers/2/restore_sink_input_by_media_role_event
/Mixers/3
/kmix
/kmix/KMixWindow
/kmix/KMixWindow/actions
/kmix/KMixWindow/actions/file_quit
/kmix/KMixWindow/actions/options_show_menubar
/kmix/KMixWindow/actions/options_configure
/kmix/KMixWindow/actions/options_configure_keybinding
/kmix/KMixWindow/actions/launch_kdesoundsetup
/kmix/KMixWindow/actions/hwinfo
/kmix/KMixWindow/actions/hide_kmixwindow
/kmix/KMixWindow/actions/toggle_channels_currentview
/kmix/KMixWindow/actions/select_master
/kmix/KMixWindow/actions/save_1
/kmix/KMixWindow/actions/save_2
/kmix/KMixWindow/actions/save_3
/kmix/KMixWindow/actions/save_4
/kmix/KMixWindow/actions/load_1
/kmix/KMixWindow/actions/load_2
/kmix/KMixWindow/actions/load_3
/kmix/KMixWindow/actions/load_4
/kmix/KMixWindow/actions/increase_volume
/kmix/KMixWindow/actions/decrease_volume
/kmix/KMixWindow/actions/mute
/org
/org/kde

net@stimpy-laptop:~$ qdbus :1.8
/
/KDebug
/MainApplication
/org
/org/kde

StewartM
User avatar stewartmm
Registered Member
OS
Oh, and a few more things:

a) I have tried a 2 GB USB drive (FAT), a 4 GB USB drive (FAT), and an 8 GB US drive (NTFS). They call cause the crash, even after a fresh boot.

b) I can avoid the crash altogether by simply not using Device Notifier to open the USB drive with Dolphin, but by opening Dolphin first and opening the drive directly;

c) The output of /var/crash is empty, even after I deliberately cause a crash.

d) A poster on the Kubuntu forums suggested I could clear the entries by restarting plasma-desktop. That does not work.

-StewartM
User avatar bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Ok, from what I see here, it seems that all the applications (which include a Printer Applet, Klipper the Muon notifier, KMix and 2 or 3 unknown applications) are working properly.

Interestingly enough, I note that Klipper is shown on your screenshot - so this appears to be some form of weird duplication which occurs when this crash occurs.

This is extremely weird behaviour. Can you try running the following command to see if it has any impact, post crash?

killall kded4 && kded4 &

You may lose network connectivity temporarily, if it does not come back, run the following:
qdbus org.kde.kded /kded loadModule networkmanagement

User avatar stewartmm
Registered Member
OS
I did as you requested, and what I found out was--

a) it did clear all the crash entries;

b) it reset the icons in the system tray to a style that I do not recognize (it may be the default, I was using a Ubuntu "Human" themes but that seems to still be in-place according to system settings and in the appearance of non-system tray icons;

c) I had to restart Blue Devil, and when it started it start up sans icon (other than a generic gear one);

d) the crashes do NOT repeat. Now when I insert a USB drive, it offers to open them with Dolphin but when I click "Open with File Manager" nothing happens. I can still open it with Dolphin manually via the menu.

StewartM
User avatar bcooksley
Administrator
OS
I think Bluedevil does use some kded4 services, so it would have needed restarting I guess.

Just so I can check, can you provide the output of "qdbus org.kde.kded" after killing + restarting it. If your icons do not return to their normal style after you restart, then this output should reveal why.

User avatar stewartmm
Registered Member
OS
bcooksley wrote:I think Bluedevil does use some kded4 services, so it would have needed restarting I guess.

Just so I can check, can you provide the output of "qdbus org.kde.kded" after killing + restarting it. If your icons do not return to their normal style after you restart, then this output should reveal why.

Here's what I got:

net@stimpy-laptop:~$ killall kded4 && kded4 &
[1] 10113
net@stimpy-laptop:~$ KDE Daemon (kded) already running.
kded(10115): Communication problem with "kded" , it probably crashed.
Error message was: "org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply" : " "Message did not receive a reply (timeout by message bus)" "

[1]+ Exit 255 killall kded4 && kded4
net@stimpy-laptop:~$ qdbus org.kde.kded
Service 'org.kde.kded' does not exist.

-stewartmm

Reply to topic