This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

How to make kde applications of different versions work at..

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
sanye
Registered Member
OS
How to make kde applications of different versions(4.8.2 and 4.3) work at the same time?

I installedd kde desktop for may centos 6.2,but in order to use newest latest edition of kdevelop,I compiled kdelibs ,kde base apps,konsole,kate,and kdevelop and have installed to my own directory.

Then i tried set some envirenment values such as PATH KDEDIR KDEHOME KDETMP to direcotries which not the same with system default directries in my kdevelop start script.
script such as:

Code: Select all
/bin/bash
export PATH= ...
export KDEDIR= ..
kbuildsycoca4
kdevelop &

However,everytime I start kdevelop,many other kde apps in system(installed from repository with version 4.3) such as dolphin cannot work,they will get a error message such kio or don't know how to open file:///... error.

If i quit kdevelop and run kbuildsycoca4 in konsole,other apps can work now except for kdevelop.

What can I do make them work at the same time?
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
I suspect the delta between 4.3 and 4.8 is great, so you probably need to setup your environment variables to give KDevelop it's own Sycoca and caches.

Try setting the variable KDEVARTMP to something such as /var/tmp/kdecache-kdevelop-$USER/ then running kbuildsycoca4 / kdevelop. Make sure you create that folder first.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
sanye
Registered Member
OS
bcooksley wrote:I suspect the delta between 4.3 and 4.8 is great, so you probably need to setup your environment variables to give KDevelop it's own Sycoca and caches.

Try setting the variable KDEVARTMP to something such as /var/tmp/kdecache-kdevelop-$USER/ then running kbuildsycoca4 / kdevelop. Make sure you create that folder first.

Very thanks for your help.
It works now!