This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Brightness problem!!! 3 devices and no one works properly...

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Pes88
Registered Member
OS
Hi!!

I'd like to know how kde manage the brightness. Which daemon manage it?

I have some problems with it.however, I'm getting crazy to configure the brightness!! I have three different devices :
Code: Select all
/sys/class/backlight$ ls -l
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 Jun  8 22:22 acpi_video0 -> ../../devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:01.0/0000:01:00.0/backlight/acpi_video0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 Jun  8 22:22 acpi_video1 -> ../../devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.0/backlight/acpi_video1
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 Jun  8 22:22 intel_backlight -> ../../devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.0/drm/card0/card0-LVDS-1/intel_backlight

I'm using KDE, if I change the brightness with the hot key , the system gets crazy, I can't use it any more! I have to wait some minutes before the general behaviour becomes normal again ( in this case video0 and video1 change but not intel )

If I change them with echo command I don't have any problems ??? Although only the brightness value associated with that device changes whilst the other one remain the same.
If I use Kde power setting change only device0 brightness, with some problems as well ( if I put the minimum it doesn't change )

Can I set which device KDE should use ?
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Brightness in KDE is managed by Powerdevil, also known as "KDE Power Management" which runs as part of kded4.

I believe it has multiple options available to it to try to change the system brightness, so it should support one or the other of your brightness options.

Can you please explain what the "crazy" behaviour is?

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
Pes88
Registered Member
OS
I believe it has multiple options available to it to try to change the system brightness, so it should support one or the other of your brightness options.

I would like to set the device to use, because the Intel device allow me to have a much finest control of my brightness but I couldn't find any place where I can set it.

Can you please explain what the "crazy" behaviour is?

You cannot use the pc, because it is too slow. it's like there is something which use all your resources, yet the cpu remain to low value (about 5%).
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Can you please provide the content of the three files:
Code: Select all
/sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0/type
/sys/class/backlight/acpi_video1/type
/sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight/type

My system has both acpi_video0 and intel_backlight, and has a preference towards acpi_video0 because it is Firmware based, rather than being raw based (which intel_backlight is).

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]