This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

audiocd protocol doesn’t work as expected

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
RRH
Registered Member
OS
Hi!

First I’d like to say that I’m really thrilled with the new layout! Good work!
But getting down to the nitty-gritty, I have a problem with ripping CDs with audiocd:// protocol. I really like it, find it handy and useful but it is as though it didn’t work.
Sometimes it is ripping, sometimes it is not – no errors but the notification icon is spinning as if it could not finish it. Of course, the CDs I tested aren’t broken – I had no problem with ripping with K3B.

Is it a KDE or OpenSuse 12.1 bug?
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
This is likely a KDE bug. Please enable all debug areas using "kdebugdialog" (make sure you have at least 1-2gb disk space free just in case you forget to turn it off).

Then logout and back in again, and attempt to rip CD's.
Once you trigger the broken behaviour, examine the end of ~/.xsession-errors to see what is present.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
RRH
Registered Member
OS
Thanks. Hope this will help: http://pastebin.kde.org/516746/
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
I saw the following messages, but nothing seemed concretely relevant:
Code: Select all
Advanced probing on /dev/sr0 failed while reading block size
kio_audiocd(29688) AudioCD::AudioCDProtocol::initRequest: path= ""  file= ""  req_track= -1  which_dir= 2  full CD?= false

Unfortunately those messages do not really provide guidance as to where the problem is.
Are you able to restart the copying process when it does freeze up (by canceling and starting it up again)?

KDE Sysadmin
RRH
Registered Member
OS
Are you able to restart the copying process when it does freeze up (by canceling and starting it up again)?

No. I tried both canceling (the stop button) and pausing. Nothing works. I did it many times.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
If you try running "killall kio_audiocd" does that fix it?

KDE Sysadmin
RRH
Registered Member
OS
Hm, now I was able to rip tracks without a problem. I’ll try again later and let you know how it goes.
RRH
Registered Member
OS
OK, was able to rip CDs successfully three times in a row. Before I had problems. It seems like it works when it feels like. :)