This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

How to set the resolution of KDM correctly with dual monitor

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
zhou13
Registered Member
Hi everyone!
Recently I buy a new big screen for my laptop. But I find a lot of problem when using it with KDE. One of them is how to make the resolution of KDM interface correctly. The best resolution for my laptop and the monitor with HDMI is 1366x768 and 1080P. The default setting for X11/KDM is mirror the output and set both of the resolution to 1024x768. This is not what I want.

I want:
1. When the monitor is plugged in, the internal screen of my laptop should be closed and the resolution of the monitor should be optimized.
2. When the monitor is not plugged in, the resolution of internal screen should be optimized.

Can I achieve this?

The other problem is that I cannot setting resolution even in KDE desktop using system setting. Both of the monitor will become black. But
Code: Select all
xrandr --output HDMI1 --auto --output LVDS1 --off

works. So I believe this is a bug of KDE and I have filed a report. https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=305148 Is there anything I can do?
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Unfortunately multi monitor support is one of the areas in KDE that still needs some work.
For KDM, this is by and large left up to X itself by KDE to take care of.

For the desktop itself, you should be able to find some helpful scripts in the Tutorial & Tips forum.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]