This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Fedora 17 or openSUSE 12.2

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
rk111600
Registered Member
OS

Fedora 17 or openSUSE 12.2

Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:36 pm
Hello! I'm currently in the stage of trying to find the "perfect" distro for me. I would like to have some opinions on Fedora and openSUSE. In the past I've tried Arch Linux, openSUSE (12.1), Fedora 17, Debian (Squeeze/Wheezy), Chakra, Sabayon, Ubuntu, and Linux Mint. Phew.... That was an extensive list! Anyways, could I have some thoughts on Fedora/openSUSE as I've tried them both before and not quite entirely sure which I should choose.
sshfox
Registered Member
OS

Re: Fedora 17 or openSUSE 12.2

Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:27 pm
Why don't you try them again and choose the one which works better for you? Every distro have pros and cons and they are mainly because of different needs.

KDE Platform Version 4.13x
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:42 am
I would recommend openSUSE 12.2 at this time - upcoming changes in systemd/etc in Fedora will severely interfere KDE Power Management in quite a few ways which may make using your system difficult. While Fedora apparently will ship some patches to correct the parts they have found, this may not cover everything and could lead to unusual breakages.

(For instance - part of systemd called logind now provides functions to suspend/hibernate on certain physical events - unless the desktop environment explicitly prohibits them. KDE has no support for this - but Fedora will likely ship the new systemd which will lead to you getting suspended twice, etc as systemd and KDE fight over the system).

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
rk111600
Registered Member
OS

Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:03 pm
I have tried both, I just wasn't sure about openSUSE mainly. My issues with openSUSE is the networking, if I enable IPv6, the network goes down (wlan0) every few minutes. If I disable it, it works without any issues. If I do remember from openSUSE 12.1, IPv6 worked fine other than the fact that it wouldn't let me install software and the only solution found on the site was to disable IPv6. I guess this isn't really a big thing, but I get use out of my IPv6 address. As for Fedora, it is my favorite disto, and I decided to go back to it. Everything works just fine, and I haven't encountered any issues with any of the updates so far.