This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

your newest kde updating

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
manfredw
Registered Member

your newest kde updating

Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:32 am
have used the last permanent supported ubuntu for about 18 months with unity, and many earlier vers. before that, decided to try the newest kde yesterday. Downloaded burnt to disk, then when program asked if I wanted a permanent install, said the I just wanted to try it first. Removed the dvd, later then asks for me to insert the kde disk when upating my regular ubuntu that I normally use. In desperation installed both, Now with both on my computor, when I want to update same thing. Your update overwrites ubuntu update.

Nice program love it, would love to play and learn if I had time, but lordy I know your all computor geeks, but this is worse than windows How the hell do I unintall it without losing everything?
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Re: your newest kde updating

Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:31 am
I'm not sure what you have done exactly, as KDE does not provide a distribution - merely a desktop environment (Workspace) and accompanying applications. I suggest you open a topic on the Kubuntu forums - as they're likely to know exactly what you've done and how to revert it.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
AnonymousSealion

Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:24 pm
manfredw wrote:have used the last permanent supported ubuntu for about 18 months with unity, and many earlier vers. before that, decided to try the newest kde yesterday

manfredw, I'm not sure what you have installed and how you have installed it but in my opinion it's not a good idea to mix desktop environments. With Ubuntu and probably all Linux distributions, you should be able install, Gnome, KDE, Xfce, LXDE and switch between them when logging in but it's asking for trouble if you do this.

As bcooksley has advised you should seek advice from elsewhere, either http://www.kubuntuforums.org/ or http://ubuntuforms.org/ so that you can return to a working Unity if that's what you want to do. As KDE is available from the Ubuntu repositories it would have been better to have downloaded any KDE packages from the Ubuntu repositories as they would have been a lot easier to remove. That goes for any software no matter what it is.

Good luck in restoring your system to how you want it. :)
scummos
Global Moderator
OS

Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:50 pm
PaulW2U wrote:With Ubuntu and probably all Linux distributions, you should be able install, Gnome, KDE, Xfce, LXDE and switch between them when logging in but it's asking for trouble if you do this.

How did you end up with this conclusion? There's not really a reason why this should be a problem and I've been doing that forever and never had problems related to it.

Greetings,
Sven

I'm working on the KDevelop IDE.
AnonymousSealion

Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:53 pm
scummos wrote:How did you end up with this conclusion? There's not really a reason why this should be a problem and I've been doing that forever and never had problems related to it.

If it works for you then fine. I speak from experience.

I've had too many broken installations where I've tried to completely remove one desktop environment and found that I've not been able to log-in to what I have left. It may be an Ubuntu problem, which manfredw is using and it may not be related to the problem that he is having. Just general advice, nothing more, nothing less.
scummos
Global Moderator
OS

Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:49 pm
Fair enough. I recall that removing packages with apt-get sometimes bears a certain risk of removing more than one wanted to remove. ;)

Just saying, if your package manager doesn't screw up (which mine usually doesn't) there's no problem with having an arbitrary number of desktop environments installed in parallel.

Greetings!

I'm working on the KDevelop IDE.
manfredw
Registered Member

Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:42 am
Thanks for your responses. I had 12.04lts , and burnt 13.10 kubuntu on a dvd to try it out without installing initially. After pulling out the dvd,any later updating to 12.04 kept asking to insert the 13.03 kubuntu disk to continue updating and would then freeze the 12.04lts updates. No matter what I did with it. Guess it doesn't like two os on the same hard drive.

Anyways reinstalled 12.04. Kind of like the 13.10 but will try it only on another computor without another version of ubuntu.

thanks again.