This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Debugging a black screen with Kubuntu 15.04 and Intel NUC

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
chuckm
Registered Member
Hi Everyone,

I'm running into a very repeatable problem but having searched a lot of places I have yet to find a solution or a way to get to the solution. Specifically, I can't get Plasma to "wake up" after it has been asleep across a date boundary.

Hardware is the Intel NUC 5i7RYH, I've already disabled the bluetooth/wifi adapter (which seems to have its own issues)
Running a fully patched and up to date Kubuntu. The current kernel is 4.2.0-30-generic.

Symptoms are that my desktop locks after a period of idleness, and then the screen goes black when the system has been idle for 15 minutes.

I can move the mouse or type on the keyboard to "wake up" the system from this state as expected.

Problem - in the morning, after the screen has been off all night, neither the mouse or the keyboard will "wake up" the desktop. I can hit Alt-Ctrl-F1 and get to the alternate terminals, log in, and look around. But the desktop is not responding. Switching back to the desktop window view (ctrl-<back-arrow> ) goes back to the black screen and no response.

So here are my questions:

What can I look for to see why my desktop is asleep?
Is there another log I should be looking at?
Nothing is appearing in dmesg.
Is there some power management setting I should check and/or change?
In the power management preferences I
dim the screen in 40 minutes,
switch it off in 60 minutes.
I never suspend (the option is not checked and there is no timeout)
What information could I gather to help others diagnose the root cause?

Thanks for any help you can provide.
--Chuck