This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

openSUSE Argon - how to install?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Menak Vishap
Registered Member

openSUSE Argon - how to install?

Tue May 31, 2016 10:23 pm
For some reason I had decided to install openSUSE Argon to HDD partition. Unfortunately, it seems, that in last Argon live images there is no installer or it does not work. There is no item in Kickoff menu and on Desktop, and when I choose “Installation” from start menu it just throws me into tty. I remember that older images probably possessed working installer, but now these images are unavailable.

I see such hypothetical ways to install it on my HDD:

1. Install openSUSE Leap from release image and after that add the Argon-specific repo.

2. Look somewhere for older Argon images.

3. Wait for newer Argon images in hope that the installer will be fixed soon. For me it is not urgent task.

Which way is really possible and preferable? Or may be some another possibility exists?
I will be grateful for advice.
wolfi323
Registered Member
OS
I would go for:
Menak Vishap wrote:1. Install openSUSE Leap from release image and after that add the Argon-specific repo.

Argon is first and foremost meant to be a LiveCD, and is nothing else than a standard openSUSE Leap 42.1 with newer (unstable) KDE packages that are available via additional repos anyway.

So install Leap 42.1, add the KDE:Qt56, KDE:Unstable:Frameworks, KDE:Unstable:Applications and KDE:Unstable:Extra repos (and do a full switch to them), and you have exactly the same as if you would install Argon.

See here for the repo URLs:
https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:KDE_reposit ... plications

PS: you will have to install some KF5 applications manually though if you want to have them. The package selection does differ between Argon and Leap, because some of the software is not released yet and therefore not included in Leap (which still contains the KDE4 versions in that case).
Menak Vishap
Registered Member

Re: openSUSE Argon - how to install?

Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:20 am
wolfi323, thank you for exhaustive answer!