This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Kubuntu 16.04, Nvidia graphics: Firefox completely black

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
MannMitHut
Registered Member
Hi there!

I’m having an issue that Firefox appears as a completely black window on the screen under stock Kubuntu 16.04. I figured out that it is related to some (older?) graphic adapters from Nvidia. My models are Quadro FX 880M and NVS 3100M. At the same time I did not experience this on a machine with Intel graphics. Switching to the proprietary Nvidia driver solved the problem. Upgrading to Plasma 5.6 over the PPA, by the way, did not. I do not have the problem on the same machines but on different flavours of Ubuntu (meaning different desktop environments).

The symthoms in detail: After a fresh boot of Kubuntu Firefox appears as a completely black window. A restart doesn’t help. Anyway, if you are lucky hitting a link on the start page of Firefox, which should actually be visible, parts of the window start to appear. A resize of the window after (!) that makes the whole Firefox window visible, finally. Restarting Firefox from then on makes a normal window be shown. I have not experienced something like this in other programs, also not in Thunderbird in particular.

What might be the reason for that and is there a fix by keeping the open graphic drivers?

I will do testing if needed!
google01103
Manager
a guess

Firefox -> edit -> preferences -> advanced -> general -> disable hw acceleration

maybe/maybe not

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

MannMitHut
Registered Member
Thanks for your reply!

Unfortunately no – I’ve tried that already with the hardware acceleration.