This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

KDE connect on different OSes using same Bluetooth dongle

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
sierrafoxtrot
Registered Member
Hello,

First of all, my level of knowledge of Linux is somewhere around "beginner" and "intermediate". My knowledge of computer management is definitely around intermediate.
Second, forgive me if my English isn't perfect. I'm getting rusty as I don't use it as often as I use to.
Third, I'd like to say, KDE connect rocks. I tried it out this week and it meets my needs.

I realise I have a small problem which may not be related to KDE connect, but I'd like to share it with you. Hopefully, someone will have an answer.

Some of the hardware specifications of my PC, if it is relevant:
Motherboard: AsRock X570 Phantom Gaming 4,
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3400 G with Radeon Vega Graphics,
Bluetooth Adapter: Belkin Bluetooth 4.0 USB adapter...

On my PC, I dual boot (or should I say triple boot) as so:
Partition 1: EFI system,
Partition 2: Windows 10 Professionnal, (name of computer on this partition: AsRock-Win10)
Partition 3: Debian 11.5, (name of computer on this partition: AsRock-Debian)
Partition 4: Linux Mint 20.x, (name of computer on this partition: AsRock-Mint)
Partition 5: Windows recovery.

I first installed the KDE connect on Debian and my Blackview BV6300pro telephone (Android 10).
Before I paired Debian with my phone, I checked the devices already connected to my phone. AsRock-Win10 was already connected. :)
I then paired my Debian OS to the phone via Bluetooth. My phone's connected device showed an AsRock-Debian connection
After the successful connection, I checked the connected devices. AsRock-Win10 was no longer present, :< and was replaced with AsRock-Debian. :)
After the successful KDE connection, the Debian OS and the phone were linked. :)

I returned to the Windows OS to perform the same operation. I installed KDE connection for Windows, then repeated the same steps as above:
Before I paired Windows with my phone, I checked the devices already connected to my phone. AsRock-Debian was connected.
I then paired my Windows OS to the phone via Bluetooth. My phone's connected device showed an AsRock-Windows connection
After the successful connection, I checked the connected devices. AsRock-Debian was no longer present, and was replaced with AsRock-Win10.
After the successful KDE connection, the Windows OS and the phone were linked.

I'm guessing I'd have the same problem with AsRock-Mint.

As things are, I would constantly have to make new connections every time I decide to use a different OS. It's not complicated, but it can be time-consuming when one has something else to do.

How would it be possible to keep the 3 OSes connected to my phone, knowing it's probably related to the Bluetooth hardware or software?
Is there another way to deal with sharing information simultaneously between OSes and the phone, if not possible through Bluetooth?
If it's not possible, would anyone know whom or what company I should contact to "fix" this Bluetooth issue?

Thanks for looking at my post.
claydoh
Registered Member
OS
Normally, KDE Connect pairs over Wifi, and not Bluetooth, and using that, you can connect your phone to as many different computers/OS as you want to.

Pairing devices via Bluetooth is not the same thing as paring with KDE Connect at all, and you are going to be limited by the capabilities of the hardware dongle, I think.

claydoh, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct, and KDE user since 2001
sierrafoxtrot
Registered Member
claydoh wrote:Normally, KDE Connect pairs over Wifi, and not Bluetooth, and using that, you can connect your phone to as many different computers/OS as you want to.

Pairing devices via Bluetooth is not the same thing as paring with KDE Connect at all, and you are going to be limited by the capabilities of the hardware dongle, I think.

Hello Clayton, and thanks for your reply
I'm always connected via wifi. I couldn't connect to KDE connect that way.
For me, it seems to work via Bluetooth. Having tested the functionalities of KDE connect (on both OSes), I don't seem to have limited capabilities. But who knows if this would change one day...

Anyway, I found the answer to my question through an internet search (keywords: Bluetooth connect to two different OS: here are some answers, for anyone having the same problem https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/255509/bluetooth-pairing-on-dual-boot-of-windows-linux-mint-ubuntu-stop-having-to-p, or
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BprSnu6KWTA).

Now I just need to find the time to duplicate the guides.

Thanks again, and have a great day.