This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Kde 4.2

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
lumiwa
Registered Member
OS

Kde 4.2

Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:07 pm
Hi!

I am a 3.5.10 user but I 'm thinking to give a try to the new KDE 4.2.
Does anyone has experience with the new version, please?

Thanks in advance.
waldelf
Registered Member
OS

RE: Kde 4.2

Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:21 pm
are you seriously asking this question in this forum where almost every second thread is about 4.2 -- i guess your asking about specific experience on fBSD are you? if not .. try this thread as one of hundred examples: kde-vs-gnome-t-31957.html

Kubuntu 12.04 x64 | KDE SC 4.8
Nvidia 8800 GTS | Core2Duo E6600 | 4 GB RAM
lumiwa
Registered Member
OS

Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:41 am
waldelf wrote:are you seriously asking this question in this forum where almost every second thread is about 4.2 -- i guess your asking about specific experience on fBSD are you? if not .. try this thread as one of hundred examples: kde-vs-gnome-t-31957.html

Look again where I posted my question, please.
waldelf
Registered Member
OS

Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:29 am
"i guess your asking about specific experience on fBSD are you?" so... you are! well... dragonplayer seems to say goodbye in an unfortunate way when closing.. (so what.. kaffeine is better anyway) alt+f2 shows strange behaviour.. kde start needs patience.. some minor problems with user rights and some plasmoids.. all in all it seems much better than 4.1 and even the panel remembers your settings.. i read a lot of posts of very satisfied people and the rest is complaining about kde4 not working as kde3 .. so what to do? test and bugreport.. sorry i cant be more help.. sorry i assumed you don't want to use the search function of the forum ^^

Kubuntu 12.04 x64 | KDE SC 4.8
Nvidia 8800 GTS | Core2Duo E6600 | 4 GB RAM
Brandybuck
KDE Developer
OS

Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:56 pm
KDE under FreeBSD is a bit different than KDE under Kubuntu. Kubuntu does a lot of tweaking and modifications and backports to its KDE, while FreeBSD tries to keep it as vanilla as possible, with just necessary bugfixes and workarounds for "linuxisms".

I am on FreeBSD using KDE 4.2. It is very nice for me, but there are some quirks and bugs still. 3.5.10 is rock solid. If you are interested in stability then stick with 3.5.10. But 4.2.0 is still fairly stable. Plasma and nepomuk crash all the time, but if you don't load up on plasmoids you can avoid the first, and turning off nepomuk avoids the second. There are also assorted buglets and annoyances (not titles in konsole, etc).

Now that we have feature parity with 3.5.x, I think KDE needs to slow down and focus on bugs. Let's be the role model for stable software.

Don't look back! (Or you might see the giants whose shoulders we stand on)
Primoz
OS

Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:06 pm
I'm not talking from my experience (I updated to KDE4 as soon it was available at Kubuntu repos) but having read most of problems on this and Kubuntu forum I deduce that updating directly from KDE3 to 4 can be problematic and can render system useless.
I guess the best thing to do is to remove KDE3 and only then install KDE4. Or at least delete .KDE and any KDE specific configuration files so thy don't interfere with new files...
Then again I don't really know how it works in BSD...

Primoz, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Nov.
Brandybuck
KDE Developer
OS

Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:09 pm
Our FreeBSD KDE 4.2 announcement said to rename .kde to .kde3, just to be safe. On my system I uninstalled all of KDE3, except for kdelibs and kmymoney2.

Damnshock
Registered Member
OS

Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:33 pm
I just compiled KDE 4.2 (not all, just the base system) and it seems to work wonderfully. The only problem I've found so far is the titles on konsole, which aren't displayed.

In fact, it works smoother than my archlinux installation....

Damnshock, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
Brandybuck
KDE Developer
OS

Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:10 pm
Damnshock wrote:In fact, it works smoother than my archlinux installation....

Ditto. Which is odd, since I'm suing the non-kdemod Arch packages, which are fairly vanilla, just like KDE. I think the main difference may be the **** proprietary fglrx driver I'm using on Archlinux versus the open source radeon driver under FreeBSD (both having r500 chipsets). I think we're finally starting to see good things coming out of ATI's release of its specs.

lumiwa
Registered Member
OS

Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:27 pm
4.2 works not bad but there some issueses or I don't know how to save them. For example tooltips. I disable everywhee where I saw but there are still on the panel. Other question is is it possible to change size of the icons on the panel or size of the numbers of time? I didn't find. Looks of the classic menu is still ugly (or just me:) ).
Menu updating tool doesn't works on mine system. When I added application it sjhows that is okay but app is not there...
I am 99% on KDE 3.5.10 still but...