This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Qt-4.5.0 problems on FreeBSD

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Brandybuck
KDE Developer
OS

Qt-4.5.0 problems on FreeBSD

Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:17 am
I am having serious problems with Qt-4.5.0 on FreeBSD. I am on 7.1.-STABLE, with G++ 4.2.1. After checking with Nokia, I find that FreeBSD us an unsupported platform. I don't know when this changed, but FreeBSD users are now second class citizens.

I had to uninstall Qt-3.3.8 first, and then explicitly set the -no-pch option. Finally it built. But when I run anything, all fonts are white squares. I am including a screenshot, so that people believe me. I am stumped now. I am unable to continue KDE development, because trunk requires Qt 4.5.0.

There is no problem with Qt 4.4.3, only with 4.5.0. Has anyone managed to solve this?

Don't look back! (Or you might see the giants whose shoulders we stand on)
Brandybuck
KDE Developer
OS

RE: Qt-4.5.0 problems on FreeBSD

Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:48 pm
I found a partial solution. Configure with the -no-iconf option. This is still suboptimal though, as iconv is there for a reason. Even though Nokia has dropped support for FreeBSD (qtcreator won't build either), I still consider this a bug, and they need to fix it.

bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:41 am
I believe the Maintainers of KDE on FreeBSD may be able to help you with this ( and will likely be interested themselves )

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
Brandybuck
KDE Developer
OS

Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:04 pm
bcooksley wrote:I believe the Maintainers of KDE on FreeBSD may be able to help you with this

I have been talking with them. They are very smart, but still unpaid volunteers. There is no reason they should have to deal with some of these unnecessary hurdles.